Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Lake And A Shared Birthday

I've had a sore on the back of my leg since Mike was here and we hiked at Wells Mills Park.  Assumed it was a bite or scratch, but it hasn't gone away and is red and itches.  My older sister had a melanoma in almost the same spot (she survived it; it was cigarettes that got her in the end) and I started getting nervous remembering that.  On my way to Manahawkin, stopped at the doctor's and asked if he could look at it.  He wasn't available but the nurse practioner was.  She examined it, cleaned it up, and said it was infected, but that you can't be sure just by looking at it that it wasn't cancer.  Prescribed an antibiotic, told me to put on Neosporin, and if it isn't healed in two weeks, to come back and I'll be sent to a dermatologist.  I like the NP--Dawn--and was heartened, although am anxious to see the damn thing go away.
Went to Manahawkin and got more toys and books for the boys, then stopped at the DMV to ask that they stop sending my husband handicapped licences, as he died three years ago.  Made lunch, packed it,  changed, and took off for the lake.  The three others were already there and we all had a fine time in the water and sand. Accepted a dinner invitation and we ate on the deck.  T. and I washed the table, then he took out the tableware--what an adorable little helper he is!  Yummy meal of salad,  meatloaf, fresh beets, and potatoes, and the best homemade blueberry pie I ever tasted.
Made a date to go back on Friday, when we'll celebrate J.'s birthday with a "boys' day" at "Ringing Rocks" in Upper Black Eddy, Pa. 
Happy birthday to him and to my older son, P., one of the four brightest spots in my life.  They were both born on this day and do I remember both occasions?  You bet--the one ten years ago and the one quite a bit longer than that.  Lucky me. 

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...