Thursday, June 14, 2012

Yes, Delightful

Delightful day.  The plan was to meet Betty at 3:00 at the St. James parking lot to get some veggies from the new "International Farm Market" (wha?  International?), then go to her place to cook them up for dinner.  Restless, I left home about 11:00, hoping the rain would hold off long enough to get some plants, then go to the cemetery to put them in.  Went to Produce Junction--wow, that is the best place!  They had a plethora of flowers of all kinds and none gasping their last as they are elsewhere, but hale and healthy.  I picked out four vincas to add to those around my front tree, plus six pretty pentas, and a bright red Begonia.  In addition, I bought a LARGE patio tomato with little green tomatoes actually on them.  I have three other tomatoes and a sweet pepper planted in the back, but love the home grown ones, so added this.  Total cost: twelve dollars.
Driving to the cemetery, I mused that to succeed, business must have either  very high-priced items (yachts, rubies) with only a relative handful of buyers, or a large number of customers who buy at bargain prices like Produce Junction.  (I'm just waiting for the endowed chair in economics at Yale.)
Quickly and easily planted two pentas at Pat's grave and the begonia at Jay's. It was the day after his 38th birthday.  Because we had had a good soaking rain on Tuesday, it was wonderfully easy to put them in.
By then, it was about 1:00 and I realized I'd have to hang out for several hours before meeting Betty.  Called her from Boscov's parking lot and was delighted to hear she was meeting Muckie for lunch at Northfield Diner and could I join them?  I could and I did and we had a neat time.
After, I followed Betty to her house and we then went to the "International Farmers' Market."  Huh, what a bust!  There weren't many vendors and what there were offered veggies and other things at hugely inflated prices.  So damn annoying and neither Betty nor I bought anything.
We had much more success at The Dollar Tree store in Ventnor Heights, where  I got several containers and some cards. Back at Betty's I bought two beers from the corner store and Betty insisted on buying me a sandwich.  We ate on her porch, talked and laughed, and had such a good, sisterly time.
Said goodbye and was home about 6:00.  At 8:00 when I ordinarily watch my 45 minutes of T.V., saw nothing I'd care to watch, so put on Cast Away, which I had bought a week or so ago from the thrift store.  Watched until Tom was burying the pilot, then went to bed. 
Good, good day and this should be another, as I'm meeting the northern dweller and the boys at noon.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...