Monday, June 25, 2012

Another Busy One

Another jam-packed day.  Accepted Aline's invitation to a brunch held by one of her fellow Red Hats and got there about noon.  House is right on the canal, but was horribly hot and untastefully--or mistastefully--decorated; lots of dusty little artifacts around.  I had already had breakfast and wasn't hungry, so ate only a few forkfuls of leathery scrambled eggs and one overdone sausage.  A pitcher of "Mimosas" (the quote marks are there for a reason) was served, but I didn't detect any booze in it (I was told it was there), it was cloudy (why?), and strawberries were floating in it, fer cryin' out loud!  For this, I paid nine bucks--steep for a mediocre meal.  
There were about twenty women there, all of a certain age, as the novelists used to write, and the talk turned to ailments, wouldn'tcha know.  One woman was on oxygen (well, aren't we all?), another had blocked carotid arteries, and so on and on.  I always feel a bit inadequate in such company--my puny gall bladder operation of two years ago just can't compete,  (Joke, of course, I know how lucky I am to be this healthy.)  Nevertheless, they were nice enough and sitting out on the deck, I enjoyed myself in a restrained sort of way.  Left about 1:30 to freshen up and prepare for the matinee--and final--performance of Funny Money.
Too bad this didn't prevail throughout the run!  The place, while not exactly packed, was about three quarters filled and it was a very appreciative audience.  My friends, Leslie and Dennis, Naomi and Wayne, and Barb and Ray came, as did Aline's Red Hat group of about 25, and a good number of others.  They were wonderfully appreciative and laughed heartily in all the right spots.  Aline and I served up refreshments and enjoyed all the energy in the air.
We were able to clean up during the second act, then I took off for LA's restaurant in Manahawkin for Dine Around, arriving about 5:00.  I sat with Rae and Sid S. and had a good time talking with them--Rae is leaving for Ireland (she was born there) on Thursday with her daughter grandson, to visit a healer--don't even ask.  Shabby room, poor service, and lousy food, but the draw is the company, of course.  The usual silly games were conducted by Judy K., and I won a big block of chocolate that I need like a hole in the head and a dollar store bracelet that I actually like.  Home by 8:00, I skipped the wine, just had popcorn and iced tea and slept soundly.
Now I'm ready for some downtime.
Note:  What just popped up:  "Goggle wants to track your physical location" with a "allow once" and "allow and don't ask again."  WHAT?!  Does Goggle have drones overhead?  Why should they want to track my physical location?  Don't like this at all.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...