Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cape May Ferry

Packed lunch and met the northern trio at the impromptu "parking area" next to the parkway.  I was--as is my wont--early and while waiting, got a call from sister Betty inviting me to dinner at her place with Muckie and Helen.  Explained our plans and declined. 
It was a beautiful day, with not a cloud in the sky and just comfortably warm.  Arrived in Cape May after a drive of about an hour and a half, got our tickets, let the boys loose on the playground until it was time to leave, and boarded.
We ate the lunches we had brought on the upper deck where (bolted down and metal) tables and chairs were conveniently provided.  Lovely day for a boat ride and the kids loved it.  It got a bit rocky--meaning rocking back and forth--here and there, but nothing we couldn't handle. 
We hadn't taken the car (which would have cost $45), so weren't able to go anywhere on the Delaware side.  Got off at a terminal identical to the one on the Jersey side, but just used the facilities and almost immediately, boarded the same ferry to go back. The boys' mother was to pick them up at a certain time, and it was a long trek home.  (We made tentative plans to go swimming today, but I got an e-mail that it was the mother-in-law's birthday, so they'd go to her assisted living place to celebrate that instead.)
I was home by 5:00, so called Betty to tell her I'd come down to dinner, after all.  Not such a good idea that day, as there was a big Phish concert and the traffic to A.C. was brutal. However, I got there, Betty ordered pizza, and we had a nice dinner.
Got home by 8:30 to find a message from Barb H., inviting me to their Fourth of July party.  Don't know what J. and N.'s plans are yet, and they might be staying here, so will see if I can let them know.
WIDER:   Here's an interesting observation:
"The state and those who operate it are always for sale to the highest bidder. That’s not a corrupting influence; rather it is evidence of the corruption that’s built into the system from the ground up."
That's from AntiWar.com and by Thomas Knapp concerning McCain's indignant pose over "foreign money" influencing elections.  Here's the rest:
http://original.antiwar.com/thomas-knapp/2012/06/15/about-that-foreign-money/

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I've taken the ferry many times and I remember there was a shuttle at the Lewes, DE landing to take folks to the outlets. Was that mentioned? Maybe it's no longer available...hmm

Mimi said...

Pat, the shuttle doesn't start running until this weekend, I believe. The ferry is a fun excursion, especially for kids, although it would have been nice to be able to spend more time there.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...