Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Program

Well, whaddya know--my Dionne Quintuplet program turned out terrific!  The library staff told me it had the largest audience of any they remembered--it's not an very big room, thirty-three had signed up, and more than 50 people came.  Extra chairs had to be brought in and the place was packed. 
It went off without a hitch.  Kelly, the branch manager, introduced me with a short bio, then I launched into my opening:  "On August sixth, nineteen fifty-four, a young woman died...."  The laptop for the projections worked fine and I was able to remember the data in the right order.
There were many, many friends and neighbors there from Sunrise Bay, as well as Rose F. and Aline B. from the theatre company and, of course, sister Betty and Muckie from further away.  My colleagues on The Breeze editorial staff all attended and Mary S. took pictures. I counted four men: Walter and Lou from SB and two I don't know. 
While I covered the quints' lives, there wasn't a peep in the room; everybody was enthralled by the story.  A lively question-and-answer sessions followed and clearly, there's still a lot of interest--at least among the Medicare crowd--in the Quints and their era.  I had filled three long tables with Quint memorabilia (just a portion of my collection) and before and after, attendees enjoyed examining and exclaiming over them.       
When it was over, a number of people stayed to chat, including Lily M.  I asked the library if I could leave the memorabilia until today and they agreed.  Betty, Muckie, and I then went to Dynasty for dinner and had a fine time.
What a great day!

4 comments:

iloveac said...

So glad it went so well. I knew it would. It's a good feeling to have folks appreciate all the work you've done thru the years. Keeping the 'stuff' in a closet doesn't give you the same feeling of satisfaction as does an appreciative audience. Way to go RBM.

Mimi said...

Thanks so much, Pat. I smiled when I read "keeping the stuff in a closet." I wish it would fit in closet! I'm now packing it up and it's in three LARGE containers, plus on several book shelves and in other places, too. I keep some in the garage, others in the guest room. But that's okay, it's worth i and it was a terrific day...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that it went so well, Mom. Congrats!
Love,
E

Mimi said...

Thanks, honey; I was glad of it,too.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...