Sunday, June 03, 2012

Word Problems

Got the pool at 10:00 and was pleased to find it fits in my car.  Will transfer it to the northern dwellers' SUV when I get up there today, and take it to the wedding per J.'s request.  That will save him from having to drive an extra 100 miles while they're in the area.
My friend, Pat, asked if I'd take a look at the obituary she wrote for her husband and suggest any changes. I did, and revised a bit.  Sent it to her as an attachment and thought that was that. 
It wasn't.  She couldn't open it.  No prob, thought I, I'll just copy and put it in the body of the message.  Went to do that and when I opened it was simply an empty page. Tried lots of stuff and no dice.  Now I know I had saved it because I had titled it "Obit for Dick" and it wouldn't have asked me to put a title on if it wasn't there. 
Long story short, etc., I called Fred D., who had worked with computers since 1984.  He kindly came over about 4:30 to try to retrieve the piece.  He was here until 7:00 pm!  Tried everything and no dice.  He hates Microsoft and believes it--they--"hide" things in order to get you to buy more software.  Probably so and he never was able to call it up.  I finally simply copied what Pat has sent, put it on a document, recreated from memory, and I was able to attach it.  What is incomprehensible to me is that, once I attach to a message, I always test it--open it myself--to be sure it's the right one, and is actually there.  It was and it was, so what happened is anybodys' guest.  Naturally, Pat can use as much or as little--or none--of it as she chooses.
Yesterday was the sixty-second anniversary of my father's death.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...