Monday, June 30, 2008

Larry and Helen left a few minutes ago at 6 am--and what a great weekend we had! They came in nice and early on Saturday--got here at 7 am in time for coffee, and we left about 9:00.
There was a fair amount of traffic, but we got to the Hampton Inn by about 2:30 to find the rooms weren't ready yet and we couldn't check in. However, we left our bags (with claim tickets) and walked a few blocks to a Fudruckers for lunch. It was very, very hot and bright--my kind of weather--and with crowds of people thronging the streets, some in native costume, there was a wonderful festive feeling to the area. Clearly, we were near Chinatown, as there was a huge and ornate Chinese arch over a nearby street.
By the time we got back from lunch, we could check in; the rooms were adequate, alth0ugh nothing special. L. and H. were down the hall from me and wanted too freshen up and rest, but I didn't want to waste time on such things in this exciting venue and decided to go out in search of a place to buy a magazine. The desk clerk directed me to a CVS up, down, and sideways from the hotel and I walked there. Boy oh, boy, was it hot and wouldn't you know, I overshot the street where I should have turned, then asked directions and had to double back. I probably walked a good mile and a half in the brilliant sunshine, but it felt great.
When I got back, I took a bath and dressed in plenty of time. We grabbed a cab to the restaurant and got there early to find Jim's son-in-law, Paul, and a few others already gathered. He took us back to the room they had reserved and soon, other guests started coming in--along with three-liter jugs of Chianti and big bottles of Chardonny, both of which I liberally sampled throughout the evening.
The food was delicious--course after course of Italian goodies, then tira misu and cheesecake--and the company even better. I didn't realize what time it was and called Pat and Alison at 11:30--oops!
After about five hours and a week's worth of calories (hey, I'm not even counting the wine), we said our goodbyes. The California contingent will fly home tomorrow, Frank and Marybeth from Baltimore, Betty from Arlington, Va. So we Byrne sibs partied two weeks in a row, which made it a fabulous June!
Larry, Helen, and I left D.C. at 8 am after a big complimentary breakfast at the hotel. We cruised around the historic buildings of Washington, then zipped home, arriving about 12:30. Happily greeted Pat and Alison (she had run only 8 miles that morning; would have gone 10, but it was over 90 degrees) and caught up with each other. I laid out ham, cheese, whole wheat bread, and soda for lunch, sticking with broccoli and zucchini myself, and we talked and talked.
I had invited Jack B. over for dinner and he got here about 3:00; of course, we all talked and laughed and reminisced until dinner at 6:00. I had called ahead to asked Alison to get the chicken Marsala and stuffed shells from our party out of the freezer and I popped them in the oven, made a huge salad, and added corn and a few sides. Jack had brought a luscious apple pie, making a great top-off for dinner.
After, I showed the digitals from our party last Saturday, and Jim's from this; I like to transfer them onto the computer quickly. Chatted a bit more, then Jack left and the four of us sat talking in the living room, me with my wine and popcorn (the others declined).
L., H., and I went to bed shortly after 9:00, Pat later, as usual. When I got up at 5:30, our guests were ready to go. Their plane leaves Philly at 10 am and they'll have their coffee and breakfast there.
What a terrific two weekends! What terrific parties! Most of all, what a terrific family!

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...