Saturday, June 07, 2008

Had a terrific time at Betty's yesterday! Got there about 11:30 as Connie H., Teresa McG., Muckie D., Helen C., and old--uh, long-ago--HSHS classmates Mary M. and Jane M. were gathering. The last two are sisters-in-law and it was great to see them.
Betty served "omelets in a bag," the recipe for which I had given her after my friend, Lynne, had sent it to me. We chatted for a while, then Betty handed each of us a quart-sized freezer bag with two eggs broken into it(she had put our initials on the outside). We then circled the dining room table where she had laid out a huge selection of additions: three kinds of cheese, red and green peppers, ham, sausage, pepperoni, onions, olives, spinach, and a lot more. They were all nicely diced and we dropped our choices in our bags. The novelty lay in what happened next: Betty proceeded to drop the bags, a few at a time, into a pot of boiling water; she left them there for exactly 13 minutes. Everybody got a kick out of the procedure and the payoff was--the omelets were delicious! They were cooked just right, tender and savory, and we all loved them.
Betty also had out an array of accompaniments, including a green salad, thick multi-grain bread, a big bowl of cut-up fruit, and several other items. She brought out individual cups of plain and fruit yogurt and little cinnamon roll-like pastries, plus different juices and , of course, plenty of hot, fresh coffee.
What a feast! I skipped the pastries, but enjoyed some of the other goodies with the omelet. Naturally, the food part came in second to the talk, laughs, and reminiscences with old friends--can't ever beat that.
After three rollicking hours, we all left with grateful thanks. I impulsively stopped at St. James on my way home. I remembered the photo archives I had set up last year and, realizing that St. James will soon be no more (it's merging with Blessed Sacrament and will be called Holy Family), I wanted to ask what they'll do with the pictures. Didn't know they were having graduation in a few hours; I apologized to the principal for bothering her, but she was very gracious. She asked me to call her next week and we'll talk about the pictures.
Didn't get home until almost 5:00, but Pat was fine. Jack B. stopped in and we had a nice chat with him.
Betty and Alison called after dinner. A. will be down after she gets her hair done today and we'll go to BJs to get more for the party.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Events like that make me wish I lived there. Some of my classmates still get together regularly and if I'm in town I've joined them. Great fun.
The omelet idea is perfect for a brunch. I remember when you posted it.
Not sure I'll ever get the chance to use it, but you never know.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...