Friday, June 13, 2008

The Producers was hysterically funny and a wonderful experience. Susan and Walter picked me up and we had lunch first, along with about 20 other Sunrise Bayers, at L.A.'s in Manahawkin. (I had flounder, sides, and a beer, but passed up the rolls and cheesecake.)
The show was about the funniest I've ever seen. It was full of action: singing, dancing, slapstick, crazy situations, and laughs. Guaranteed to insult almost everybody--liberals, conservatives, gays, women, old people--it managed to come full circle and anger nobody. The whole thing was so snappily written, so perfectly timed and put together, so enthusiastically performed, that it was a joy to see. Synopsis: Down on his luck producer meets timid young accountant, who tells him more money can be made from a flop than a hit; they find world's worse script (Springtime for Hitler), hire world's worse director and, of course, the show turns out to be--sure, a hit. One absconds with a gorgeous Swedish dancer, other goes to jail, then things are sorted out, and all prosper in end.
Didn't get home until almost 6:00, and had words with Pat, not because of my arrival time, but on a topic too inconsequential to believe it was the real reason for the words. After a long talk with Alison later, things improved. Followed my usual evening routine, turned in at the usual time, and slept like a log.
Today, Marge and I are tentatively scheduled for lunch. Hope she remains well enough, as I'm anxious to see her, but after that, I'm ready, ready, ready to have a little down time.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I loved the movie 'The Producers' with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. If you have not seen it, you might consider renting it. You will laugh your head off.
'Springtime for Hitler' is one of my favorite songs.

I liked the music from the movie better than the play.

Mimi said...

I might do that one of these days. It's funny that I know two people who saw the original Broadway production and hated it--too slapsticky, they said--and others who saw the movie and liked it. Guess the medium is indeed the message, or at least part of it.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...