Saturday, June 21, 2008

Today is Der tag! And boy, oh boy, was yesterday a fitting lead-up: constant activity and an ever-accelerating level of nerves.
Alison came in about 10:00, bringing the cake she had had made at The Apple in Manahawkin, and it's beautiful. Not at all overdone or garish, it features blue and white roses, a gold "50th," and a simple "Congratulations, Pat and Rosemary."
A. had to get employment papers at the Little Egg school first, then we packed up both our cars and took some of the mountain of stuff to the clubhouse. Mike's car had malfunctioned the night before and she had to get back to take him to the shop, so didn't linger. Before she left, she told me ever so firmly that I was absolutely forbidden to come to the clubhouse before we arrived for the party. Well, she didn't say those words, but I knew what she meant, and I agreed. We both realized I'd be agitated, controlling, and frantic, convinced I had to be there to oversee, or all would be ruined. It helped to remind myself of my mantra: We'll all be dead in fifty years.
Spent the rest of the day thusly: drove to The Grapevine to be sure everything was okay on that end and to pay the (gulp!) bill; went to Acme to do the same; loaded up my car again to get the rest of the party supplies to the clubhouse; put various signs on various groups of stuff; forgot the half and half for the coffee, so went back to Acme, then back to the clubhouse; washed the bathroom rugs; scrubbed bathroom floors and cleaned rest; put rugs back; ran the vacuum throughout the house; mopped the kitchen; went back to Acme a third time and yielded to temptation by picking up a rotisserie chicken (I love those things, especially the greasy part) for dinner; and transferred the boxes and baskets of Pat's pills from the dining room table to the guest room.
In the meantime, I received calls from Frank (twice--I arranged to have us tour the old homestead in Ventnor tomorrow), and Marge, Ray, and a few others during the day. My dear twin, Betty, called to calm me, encourage me, and assure me all would turn out fine. We opened congratulatory cards from Ellen and several friends.
Jack B. stopped in after golf, thinking we had some of the relatives here already. We didn't, but he'll see them soon.
When I arrived home after one of my jaunts, I found two large boxes on the front porch. Mike had sent us fifty gorgeous roses in spectacular colors, along with a huge silver urn. His card read: "Sorry we won't be there for the 50th, but will try for the 100th. Love, Mike, Paula, and Vivian." Later, he called/web cammed and Pat and I chatted with him and precious Vivian (who brought various items to show us on camera) for a good 45 minutes. I then jumped in the shower and relaxed with my usual; didn't get to bed until well after 9:00, but had told Susan I wouldn't walk today, so knew I could sleep later. However, I got up at 5:00 and feel good.
Next time I make an entry, the party will be over!

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Happy 50th wedding anniversary Rosemary and Pat.

What a whirlwind of activity you had yesterday. Hopefully you will be able to 'kick back' and enjoy today.

I loved Mike's comment. Have a great day.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...