Sunday, June 08, 2008

I have plenty of energy and needed all of it yesterday.
Went to a few yard sales before Alison arrived at noon. We had lunch, then took our list--actually, several lists--and set off for BJ's. We raced around the huge store and got "glasses" for champagne, Chex Mix and veggie chips to add to the Goldfish, more cups and napkins in the pretty tulip pattern, plus coffee and tea and several cases of iced tea and soda.
After that, we went to a dollar (and up) store for serving trays and a big metal wastebasket we'll use for "clean" ice. We then zoomed down the street to Shop-Rite to look for coolers (too small and we decided to borrow neighbors') and try to choose centerpieces.
Now this was difficult. We're using both 60" round tables and rectangular ones and if the centerpieces are too small, they'll look chintzy, too big and they'll overwhelm. Neither of would consider artificial ones (I don't care how "realistic" they are, this will be the first day of summer, for heaven's sake!), but cut flowers or fancy plants would add hundreds of dollars to the cost. We decided on both "fleurette" mums and gerbana daisies and Alison suggested we buy one of each immediately, plus some balloons, then go to the clubhouse and try them out. That's what we did and we think the room will look great with the colorful plants, plus three balloons on each table. (I kept the plants and will plant them later.)
We then went to the local dollar store to order the balloons--45 of them. The complication was that they had no more of the regular weights to hold them down, and we aren't sure if the flimsy plastic types will hold more than one balloon and we have to tie them on ourselves.
Finally got home about 4:00 and A. and I sat down to firm up the food. I must go to the Grapevine and discuss what they'll provide with the pasta, etc., plus go to Acme and order the sandwich trays.
Of course, Alison and I both have individual lists of who we have to contact, what we must buy, things to add, and so on. She didn't leave until after 5:00 and, apologetically, I gave Pat a frozen dinner; just had a salad myself.
I was actually tired after dinner, something I hardly ever am. We turned on the A.C.--it was, and is, over 90--and I took a good long shower. Dennis R. called to ask if we wanted some of the live crabs he's being given today. Appreciative as I was at the gesture, I begged off; just don't think I can handle--literally and figurtively--the preparation.
Susan stopped in to say she couldn't walk today--that's just as well, as I needed the sleep: didn't get up until 6:16 today.
I've started (yet another) list: "assignments" for friends, such as setting up tables, picking up the balloons, and so on.
Less than two weeks to the party!

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...