Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Being a virtuous little housewife, I performed a multitude of domestic chores yesterday, too mundane to list. Visited Lab Corps to finally straighten out the prescription confusion (V.A. faxxed it twice, illegibly both times, which generated four calls by me, plus two visits to Lab Corp, plus much gnashing of teeth, screams, and cries etc., etc., etc.).
Called Betty about noon and was surprised to hear she was at LAX waiting for a shuttle home. I had thought she was leaving today; I miss her already. We re-hashed the party and various sisterly topics, then said goodbye.
Was pleased to get a call from Jen to ask if she, her sister, and the two little boys could come down on Thursday to go to the pool. Great, I replied, and I'll pack a lunch to eat there.
After leaving Pat dinner, I drove to Brendan Byrne Park to go on an evening hike. Got there by the start time of 5:30 and found only the leader, Faye. Nobody else showed up, so we set off and geesh, was it hot! Also, there were whole battalions of black flies trying to make us their evening meal--unsuccessfully, as we were awash in bug spray. Oddly, these little discomforts made me feel good--as if I had braved enormous adversity to triumph over nature. (Talk about pathetic!)
Anyway, Faye and I completed 6 miles at a much brisker pace than is usual with larger groups. I was proud I was able to keep up with her.
During the hike, Ellen called. She had showed Pat her new furniture on the web cam and I'll see it today--can't wait! She said she'd buy her ticket for August, when she'll come during Patrick and Natsue's visit--doubly can't wait!
After my shower and before w. and p., I talked to Alison, who complained that the editor at Advance, the OT magazine where her article will appear, practically eviscerated it. I sympathized, but secretly smiled. I've read dozens of biographies of writers, and this was a constant gripe with all of them!
Old George called Pat to say the doctors think he's doing very well after his heart surgery. I told Pat to invite him for dinner, so we'll have him over tonight. Think I'll make barbecued ribs in the crock pot.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...