Saturday, July 05, 2008

It started to rain as soon as the parade got under way, but just a drizzle. There were about fifteen in our group, and I was pleased that two were children. We carried banners reading "Peace Is Patriotic"* and "Peace Pilgrim" (for info on this, go to to http://www.peacepilgrim.org/). The Unitarians were with us, too, carrying their own banner.
The route was about a mile and a half long and there were thousands of spectators. We handed out little flags and were received courteously. It was gratifying that, every once in a while, on-lookers would burst into applause; one man gave us the raised fist salute. I was particularly struck by two middle-aged women in beach chairs who clapped, waved, and shouted to show their support.
I had been told there was a van to get back to our starting point, but I had skipped Susan's and my walk, so wanted to get that in. (Actually, I overshot a turning point and probably walked two miles back to my car.) Stopped in to see Pat's niece, dear Donna, who lives in Smithville. She gave me a cup of tea and we had a nice chat.
Rest of day was ordinary. We didn't have Fourth of July plans, so I decided to give Pat an old-fashioned Fourth dinner. Went to Acme for supplies and served up hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob, devilled eggs, and fruit salad, all of which he enjoyed. I had a new-fashioned Fourth meal: asparagus, avocado, and chicken burger.
Talked to Betty. She said she had called "your daughter" to ask if she could go there if she's evacuated (forest fires above Santa Barbara). I thought it was odd she'd think of traveling back to Jersey, but then realized she meant other D.D., Ellen, in Ventura.
I plan to go to Weight Watchers this morning, as I haven't been for three weeks. I believe I've gained a bit, but am okay with it if I did; will record the new weight here.
Later: Holy smokes! Lost another .8 for a total of SEVENTY pounds off. Am in the twenties, too--just barely, at 129.6, but that's okay. Considering the partying and so on I've been enjoying lately, I'm surprised and pleased.
* I was, and am, conflicted about the wording on the banner. I question whether peace is "patriotic," and especially that "patriotism" is assumed to be a positive force. Maybe so if it remains a simple appreciation for what's dear and familiar, but too often, it seems to me, "patriotism" balloons into nationalism. And that, of course, has been the source of all wars from the beginning of time.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Yes, Peace Pilgrim. She was one of the women we highlighted in our Women's Issues program 2 yrs ago. One woman portrayed her. It's inspiring to know such people are out there.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...