Wednesday, July 09, 2008

It was fun at the Blueberry and Cranberry Culture outing yesterday--but no fun at all later. Barb drove and we got to Wells Mills Park early. The van was filled, which is the usual during these events. Went to the Rutgers extension facility in Brendan Byrne State Forest and saw a slide show/lecture by a botany geneticist. I never knew there were so many different kinds of blueberries. We were then taken out to the field where we could sample the berries right off the bush; I must have eaten a pint. After, we went to Pakim Pond for lunch (we all brought our own), then to Whitesbog, where we were able to pick lots of berries to take home.
It was great fun and we enjoyed it all. However, when we were going home about 3:30, I started to feel less and less well. Unusual for me, I had a headache; even more unusual, I was very tired. I fell asleep on the couch before dinner; after, I did the same. When Alison called, she suggested it may have been the heat and sun, which were very intense, and we were outside a lot of the time. Not sure about that, but I woke up in the middle of the night shivering violently. I was so cold, I put on flannel pajamas, socks, and a sweater, then laid a blanket over the bedclothes. Fell asleep again, but woke a few house later, sweating heavily.
I slept until 9:00 o'clock--must go over to explain to Susan why I didn't make our walk this morning--took some Tylenol and feel marginally better, but far from perfect. Good thing I don't have anything scheduled for today; I'm going to lay low and try to recover.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Am so sorry you feel so rotten. Rich had those horrible chills last month and I believe that 'cold' feeling is one of the worst experiences. You just can't get warm. When we're hot, we can take off our clothes or take a cool shower.....chills are horrible.
Do you think anything was on the berries?
I hope this is a 24 hour thing and you are back on the mend real soon. I'm sending positive energy to LEH.

Mimi said...

Pst,
I assume something or other was on the berries, but to my knowledge, nobody elee (including Barb) had any ill effects. Susan told me she had similar symptoms a few weeks ago, and she hadn't eaten berries. I think it may just have been a bug or something. Am feeling marginally better now, but expererienced chills again today. Hope I'll recover soon; thanks for your concern.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...