Sunday, March 04, 2007

We had a lot of fun with the contest yesterday. Of the 6,000,000 entries, long-ago classmate and fellow Holy Spirit grad, Dee (Dolores) S. L. was the lucky winner. Unfortunately, she failed to pick up her cash prize in person, so was out of luck on that score, but her triumph will live forever in the annals of...well, this blog, and I'm not guaranteeing the "forever." Pat McH. R. won second prize--honorable mention and you're reading it now--plus special recognition for knowing someone named "Pippa." (Wonder if Pat's Pippa is Italian; Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning lived in Italy for years.)
Some great pictures were sent my way of little Ryan's (Larry's great-grand) baptism and of preggers Robyn and little Claire (Betty's DIL and granddaughter). The first of the latter is priceless; I think it should be sent to some photography contest. I love getting family pics.
Buzzed down to Manahawkin yesterday to get yet more pictures duplicated for the Dionne talk, now only a week away--ouch! This damn thing is like a job, only I'm not getting paid. I am getting paid for the Ocean County College course and I'm not even concerned about being prepared for that. I had worked up my agenda and material last year and figure I can always wing it if I get stuck. Thanks to having a teacher in the family (daughter Ellen), I know about lesson plans and I'm going to write one, although I'm fairly confident my over-50 students won't throw spit balls and act up too much if they're not occupied every minute.
While I was in the big city, I went to the thrift store and unloaded a back seat full of things I had cleared out of closets and cupboards and wonder why I ever acquired. It felt great but of course, there're mountains more to come.
Okay, I've been avoiding the subject, but now comes the moment of truth: It's Sunday and I'm due to go to Weight Watchers. I haven't mentioned whether I've been sticking to the program or not this week and here goes--I haven't been. True, I've eaten enough broccoli, salad, and other veggies to turn green, but I've also been enjoying the bad stuff with wild abandon at night. (Boy, does that sound depraved, but no such luck.) All right, I know I've gained, but I'll go to the meeting and take my lumps. Not going is fatal because that's going to take me completely away from my healthy eating and weight-loss goal. Well, I'm determined to report the bad news here tomorrow, and on that glum note, I'll close.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...