Saturday, March 03, 2007

Yoicks! I got a phone call yesterday from Ocean Community College to the effect that I have enough sign-ups for my course on job-hunting for the chronologically challenged (over 50). I was stunned, as I had completely forgotten I agreed to teach it this semester. (Last year I was on the roster of their Academy for Lifelong Learning but the course didn't attract enough enrollees, so was dropped.) When the director called a few months ago to ask if I'd try it again, I agreed without much thought (guess I assumed it would be under-registered again). I'll do two 2-hour sessions on successive Thursdays--starting five days from now. Preparing for that as well as for the Dionne presentation is going to take up most of my time, but hey, even though I hate a challenge, I'm okay with it. I did prepare quite a bit of material last year and it looks pretty good.
Was delighted to get an e-mail from Betty's DIL, Robyn, whose blog I read regularly. What a bright, talented, energetic person she is! It's wonderful to know Betty has such resources in her family, besides the biological ones. Robyn and Steve are expecting their little bundle of joy (who ever coined that saccarhine expression?) in a few months and Robyn is thriving in pregnancy.
Today I'll assemble my material for the course, then clean up some loose ends for the Dionne thing, plus tackle domestic chores. Made chicken in the crockpot last night and it was so good. The cleaners were here, the house is shining, and so is the sun. Best of all, Betty's recovering from her ordeal. "God's in his heaven, all's right with the world"*--that's how I feel at the moment and just like the chicken, it's so good.
* A valuable prize to anyone who can identify the author of that quote and the work from whence it comes.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

When I googled it I was surprised to learn about the name 'Pippa'. I'd never heard that name and one of my close friends in Pensacola is named Pippa.
Now to actually read the poem.
Sounds like a much needed course. How fortunate they are to get someone with your background to teach it. Have fun.

Mimi said...

But, aha, Pat, your forgot to mention who wrote it. It was Robert Browning, who married the fellow poet, Elizabeth Barrett. Did you know they had a son? Actually, it's a poem from a play (I think) and either the play or the poem is called "Pippa Passes."

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...