Monday, March 12, 2007

The Dionne talk turned out great! I got there early--I'm notorious for being early for everything (compulsive, you know)--and set up two tables with D. memoriabilia on either side of the foyer. Even I was amazed at how much stuff I have and I didn't even use all of it. We had more people there than I thought we would, probably 50 or more, and they were so receptive. There wasn't a sound from them as I went through my talk, projecting related pictures as I went. After, there was great applause, congratulations, and thanks--two friends even called me at home to say how much they enjoyed it. Several people suggested I give talks on the subject elsewhere, which I thought was funny. Should I go on the road? Don't they know vaudeville is dead? Anyway, it was terrific and I'm glad I prepared so obsessively for it. As speaker, I was given TWO gift certificates from two restaurants for $25 each!
As a nice cap to the successful day, Susan and Walter invited us to dinner for early St. Pat's day corned beef and cabbage. Pat just didn't feel up to it and, Irish or not, hates c.b. and c., so I went myself. Judy and Roman were there, too, so it was just the five of us, but great fun. Susan loves to do theme parties and she gave Judy and me little pots of shamrocks, plus had lottery tickets for each of us (nobody won, however), and added Irish music, green-iced cupcakes, and lime pie. As a terrific cap-off, they had Irish coffee with Bushmill's whiskey in it and whipped cream on it. They also had "St. Brendan's Irish Cream," which I love. Yum, yum, yummy--after the wine I had in addition, I'm surprised I didn't crawl home, but strangely, remained perfectly sober, just pleasantly (slightly) buzzed.
Talked to Betty twice; I called her in the morning, then reported on the Dionne talk. She's doing o.k., but is tired. Brother Frank is coming down from the north country (Alameda) to visit her in a few days, which will be nice. She sees the hematologist/oncologist soon--maybe she'll get some news then.
Will probably go to the caregiver's meeting at Atlanticare today and told Vivian I'd go to Manalapan tomorrow for a Wellspouse dinner meeting. Not sure if I really want to go all the way up there, though--will decide later.
Now to return the projector and repack and put away all the mountains of Dionne stuff--ugh!

3 comments:

iloveac said...

It is sooo hard to post a comment on this blog site...I wonder if it is a limitation of this damm MSNTV2 or if others have problems. Anyhow, I made it.
Sounds like yesterday was right up there with an all time fav. So happy you had a good reception after all that work. Maybe you could see if OCCC could use you for special presentatons. I'm sure you made it quite interesting. And then to have a party after with Irish Whiskey too....great day.
I am with Pat tho' I don't like Corned Beef with cabbage either...but I do like ham and cabbage. Does he like left over fried cabbage....sort of Colcannon? Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your successful Dionne talk. (I wish someone had videotaped it.) Did you get a lot of good questions? I didn't realize that so many people knew about the quints. Had most people already heard of them before your talk? Congrats again! Love, Ellen

Mimi said...

P.: Pat won't eat cabbage in any form. Will eat only 4 vegetables and one of them is baked beans.

E.: Oh, yes, everybody had heard of the D.Q. Remember, this is an over-55 community, so we're old fogies. Actually, I had been asked ot videotape it, as some people couldn't go, but I didn't want to get involved in that.
Love, Mum

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...