Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Got to Philly and back without a problem. I had been worried about this for weeks because I'm nervous going up there. (Talk about lists; I have a long list of things to worry about--very convenient, as I can just pick and choose.) Pat's hearing aid has to be sent away to be repaired and he may need a stronger one, but for now, the present one's okay.
Earlier, I attended the Friends of the Little Egg Harbor Library meeting. I'm not sure how interested I really am in this. They seem pretty backward-looking, acting alarmed when I suggested using e-mail to inform people of gatherings, even though they had bemoaned drawing so few attendees. The way they let people know what's going on is to post information on a piece of paper over the copy machine (!). I think they have a newsletter, but the president said she "hasn't been keeping up with it." They do have $4000 in the treasury, and are trying to entice a mystery writer from NYC to speak at an upcoming meeting.
Alison called last night and invited us for Easter--great! Hope J., J., J., and little Whosit will be there.
Okay, my list of joys--not at all comprehensive, of course:
Sunsets over the trees behind my house: They may not be as spectacular as Arizona's, but they're beautiful--all gold, rose, and purple.
Our home itself. It's been four years since we moved here, but amazingly often, I'm aware of how much I love it and how lucky I am.
Being able to drive: I didn't get my license until I was 45 and I still get a thrill out of it--I mean I often consciously think "I can drive!" (For a wonderful treatise on this, see Agatha Christie's autobiography.)
Being with my children, grands, and great-grands: This may be a cliche, but I don't care, I never see enough of them.
My glass of wine at night. I look forward to this with a rummy's fervour.
Right now, spring, with the flowers coming up and the trees budding. This always seems like a friggin' miracle to me! When we lived in Ewing, Pat and I used to walk around outside the house during the first spring days and survey our plantings. Then the thought always came to me--melodramatic, but hell, that's my persona--"We survived another winter."
Poetry.
Good books--OR books I enjoy, "good" or not.
Having Pat able to still go to the bay everyday.
Touring old houses.
Travel. I had a small window in my life when I could go places--after the Taking Care of Kids, Scarce Money, College and Career considerations eased up and before the caregiver situation. I loved it all, especially California and Asia, and hope to do it again.
I just took a sip of another joy: my coffee in the morning.
Getting out of the shower and into a freshly-made bed.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I love your list of joys and isn't it great that it doesn't cost a thing to keep going back and reading each one...savoring it just like that morning coffee.

I chuckled about Pat's hearing aid may work a little better.
Rich's aid had not been working all that well and it was driving ME nuts with him hearing about every 3rd word unless I was in his face. THEN, he got the new and improved one and I was still talking at my same volume only to have him tell me..."I can hear you, you don't have to talk so loud". He's totally deaf in the left ear so sitting in a restaurant requires who he wants to hear sitting on his right.

I have two AC friends who didn't drive til much later than the rest of us and one is a cautious driver...why do I think you might be like the other...a speed demon? Oh no you're not like one of those little ladies who drives real, real slow are you? I think you should get a convertible...let the top down...put on your shades...and as the young kids say...'play some tunes' and cruise the land...well at least South Jersey.

Mimi said...

Honey, I have a lead foot--how did you know?

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...