Friday, March 09, 2007

The first session (of two) of my course on "Job-Hunting for Seniors" went well. Just as I feared, though, I got a talker who tried to monopolize the conversations, had adamant opinions on every topic, and knew much better than the teacher--what a bore! This guy--who's been looking for a job for 3 years--was in manufacturing "operations," as well as antique-dealing, and god knows what-all. Wouldn't you know, he came early and stayed after to talk. Says he has "certification" in all kinds of areas because of two-hour courses he took at the college, including human resources (so why did he sign up for my course?).
The rest of the group were good and very varied in their backgrounds and hopes for jobs. There are two other men, one 85-years-old who used to own a boat business and wants handyman work, the other interested in doing "summaries and analysis work," who had been with an insurance company. The four women ranged from Carolyn, who's looking for pre-school teacher assisting and Ginny, who's interested in social work or something similar, to Patricia, who was a legal secretary for years and wants a part-time secretarial job, and Pat, who'd like to work part- or full-time in activities at a nursing home. All are over 50 (the Academy for Lifelong Learning is for those over that magic mark) and, except for the jerk mentioned above, I was glad to meet them. Next week, I'll go into resume-writing and interviewing techniques.
Called Betty after I got home; she was picking grandson Finn up at school (can't remember if he's in first grade or kindergarten) and says she feels generally okay. She said they took eight vials of blood--good lord, I'm surprised she has any left--to check for all kinds of thing, including the rare blood disorder she had mentioned that might have caused the excessive bleeding she had. She goes to the hematologist next week.
Ray will pick me up today at 11:30 and we'll go get the overhead equipment from the high school and leave at the clubhouse office. He'll then pick Pat and Gary up for lunch at 12:30. In the meantime, I'll rehearse the Dionne talk and select the memorabilia I'm going to display for the Women's Club meeting on Sunday.
The diet? Hey, I don't want to talk about it--and that says it all, I'm afraid.

1 comment:

EBJ said...

Hi,
glad it went well at school.
Finn is in Kindergarten. He will be six on the 2oth.
I am resting today.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...