Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tsk, tsk, tsk--I'm afraid the entire class has to stay after. Pitty-Patty did recognize the illegality of one question, but Betty Boop and Dee-Dee must have been exchanging notes about that cute boy in the front row. Here are the answers with explanations:
1. (Where actually live?) Illegal. Not relevant to employment and could be discriminatory if live in "bad" section of town.
2. (Pregnant) Illegal.
3. (Long-term absences) Legal.
4. (Miss days of work) Legal.
5. (Relatives working here) Legal. Could relate to nepotism.
6. (Miss, Ms., Mrs.) Illegal. Can reveal marital status.
7. (French) Illegal. Could reveal national origin--but can ask if know other languages if relevant to job.
8. (Clubs, organizations) Illegal. Could reveal religion, ethnicity, etc. However, can ask if belong to professional organizations related to job.
9. (Arrested) Illegal. Pat is right, but can ask if have been convicted.
10. (What year graduate) Legal. This is interesting because it's a strong indicator of age, but I double-checked and it is legal to ask.
Generally, of course, employment questions can be asked if--and only if--the information relates to the position.
When I was hired at Rider in 1975, the application including DOB, marital status, number of children and their ages, and if I owned or rented my home!
Maybe next week or so, I'll slip in another quiz, but for now--here's the thrilling saga of what I did yesterday:
Drove down to Ventnor for a house sale across from Betty's on Washington Avenue, but bought nothing because all was purest crap. Stopped at the Ventnor Historical Society wing of the library and enjoyed looking at the exhibits of the Ventnor of old (I've been there before several times). Took pics of Betty's former house on Cornwall and Atlantic--always beautiful, now spectacular after extensive additions. Got home to do wash, FINALLY get the Dionne Quint stuff packed and put away--well, piled on a chair in the garage--send Betty the pics, make Pat lunch, and cook up cauliflower to accompany my sandwich. Neighbor Anne Mary stopped in to give us a green candle for St. Patrick's Day, and we got a call from Pat's niece, Donna, to wish us the top o' the day. After dinner, Patrick called for St. P.'s Day, too. He said he had had lunch in an Irish restaurant--in the middle of Tokyo, you understand. I got a charge out of that. P. starts his new job teaching at Touyou University on April 1 and continues his daily swimming at a nearby pool. He's still working on the doctorate, of course--I guess that'll go on forever.
Had one of those "pick-up" dinners last night: scrapple and eggs. Pat likes that every once in a while and it did taste good (anything full of fat and calories tastes good to me).
Susan and Walter left for San Diego (realtors' convention) early this morning, so I've lost my exercise partner for a week. However, Leslie and I are going to the peace march on the A.C. boardwalk this afternoon, so that will fill in for my walk today. Will force myself to walk alone ("I'll Walk Alone..."--remember that old song?) for the rest of the time Susan's away.
I'll Walk Alone/Because to tell you the truth, I would rather/There are dreams I must gather/Dreams we fashioned the night/You held me tight.... Oh, it was just a terrific era for music. Remember "Perfidia?" That's another gem; I know all the words, but won't add them here.

3 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

I think I must have over 50 CD's with all the old music. I knew most of the words and still do. "Perfidia" was one of my favorites.
As for your test your just like Sr. Leo, she use to love to flunk her students.LOL I can see your point on the questions but I still don't think it's right. I believe an employer should be able to ask any question that is pertinent to the job. And I'd sure as hell want to know what sex my employee is.

iloveac said...

For Dee I don't understand..... what difference would it make to know the sex of your employee? Hey supposed Lilly MCBeth who used to be Billy McBeth applies? If he/she can do the job isn't that enough?

For RM....since asking about Relatives working here raises the question of nespotism...I'd think it illegal.

How about if I lie about when I graduated from high school...can they fire me? I don't want them to know how old I am. Just curious.

You amaze me with how much you accomplish.

And I'd give any thing for some scrapple and eggs. I LOVE scrapple. I always thought Habbersett's was the best...how about you? No one sells Habbersetts around here.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mom,
I have the song "Perfidia" on CD. Linda Ronstat sings it, I think. But I thought it was in Spanish.
-Ellen

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...