Friday, March 16, 2007

The class went well yesterday. Talkative Robert was not as boring and intrusive as he could have been, partly, I think, because I talked frankly to him beforehand. He did bring in two books listing manufacturers in the whole country, and pompously recommended that people send their resumes "cold," i.e. with no openings listed. I didn't want to embarrass him by contradicting the wisdom of doing this, but it always seemed to me the stupidest waste of time imaginable. I used to get unsolicited resumes at Rider constantly. The senders would ask to have their resumes "kept on file." This means the employment person is being asked to act as career consultant for the applicant. Maybe three months later when an appropriate job opens, he/she is supposed to search the files, check qualifications, and contact the sender for an interview. Are they kidding? I can't imagine any HR person with the time--or inclination--to do that. At Rider, our policy was to send back unsolicited resumes with a form letter saying we accept applications only for advertised positions--the only reasonable way to respond, it seems to me.
Anyway, I did commit to doing the class again in the fall, but in three sessions. This was the first time I've run a class, and now I have a better idea of what works, what doesn't, what I want to add, and what--possibly--drop. I want to structure it a little more closely, expand on some topics, and narrow down others.
Pat had a bad night and so did I, being awakened by his hacking, coughing, and thrashing around. His muscles contract or something when he's asleep, which results in spasms, almost like somebody with a serious disease. I read that this has no particular danger associated with it and I don't think he's even aware of it--but it often wakes me up, as the whole bed shakes.
Had baked pork chops for dinner last night--tender and tasty. Marge and I are tentatively scheduled for lunch, although she and Fred have been under the weather, so we'll play it by ear. I'm going to the peace vigil in Absecon with Dennis and Leslie from 5 to 6; I should be home by 6:30. Whether or not D. and L. go, I'd like to participate in the march on the Atlantic City boardwalk tomorrow, too. It marks the 4th anniversary of the slaughter in Iraq.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...