Monday, March 26, 2007

Ho, ho, guess the "gift registry" thing hit a nerve! Well, I'm not going to argue about it--I won't convince you and you won't convince me--so what the hey. (I do love the pink flamingos story, Robyn. Hope the recipients proudly displayed them on their lawn.)
Pat's brother, Bill, called to invite us for dinner on Sunday (at 3 in the afternoon), a nice surprise. Said he's cooking ham and refused to let us bring anything. We're looking forward to seeing Bill, of course; he's a wonderful guy. He and Pat are the only surviving Molloy sibs--there had been seven. I love seeing his wife, Regina, too. We are on absolutely opposite ends of the opinion spectrum about almost everything, but we're happy to avoid certain subjects or just laugh at our differences.
Other than that, yesterday was a slow day with grocery shopping and stuff. Had chicken potpie for dinner and it was good.
I neglected to fill everybody in on my Saturday adventures. I went to Reynolds in Manahawkin and got little No-Name Great-Grandbaby an adorable newborn outfit (he's not due until July). On the way home,
stopped at Habitat for Humanity thrift store and met up with Frank D., who was looking for a table. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but came across a silverplated meat fork for a dollar and bought that.
I can't imagine why people would turn up their noses at thrift stores. We have 3 nice ones within 10 miles and I often buy there, especially things like glassware (we break a lot), tee shirts for exercising, and pre-read magazines. I also donate to them. When we moved here, we bought new furniture and donated two loveseats to H. for H. I was pleased to see them on display for a modest price, then to notice they were gone the next time I stopped in. I hope some nice young couple--or some thrifty old couple--are enjoying them.
Not only does it save money to buy at thrift stores, it's also good for the environment (cuts down on the amount of "stuff" around), and you can get unusual items you don't see at the mall. A few years ago, I bought a beautiful, hand-embroidered tablecloth for my dining room table for $20. You can't get things like that at Macy's.
Ellen called last night, as she does every Sunday, and we had a nice chat, discussing the difficulties of teaching math to third-graders, among a wide range of other topics.
Well, yesterday, I was in an introspective mood, which resulted in the "Everybody has a secret life" mantra. Pat, Pat, of course you have a secret life. It doesn't mean you've robbed a bank, or smothered your next-door neighbor, or wear men's boxers--just that there's a quiet, careful, watchful, once-removed Pat inside you who carries on an inner life nobody but you will ever know.
Good lord, am I the only one?

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I wish one of your readers would give an example so I'd know what you meant. I really don't think I have one. Rich knows all of my thoughts...even the ones I've only shared with a shrink. Sometimes I fatasize about what life 'might have been like' but that doesn't last and is not recurring. I assume many (most) folks are alot more private about their lives than I, so there probably are lots of 'secret' lives out there.

Robyn said...

The end of the Flamingo Story...the Florida bride had requested that guests ONLY purchase gifts off of the registry! That is what inspired the flock of flamingos. Which they made sure to purchase somewhere where she could not return or exchange them. She was then supposed to write a very nice thank you note to all parties involved, as required as a Good Southern Bride, but somehow, those ended up being written by the groom instead. She did NOT appreciate the joke at all, and they are not on display. The college friends give this marriage 10 years at the most.

Dee's Blog said...

I love your way of thinking Rosemary. I see nothing wrong with shopping in thrift stores. I only wish we had more around us. We have a consignment store which has some beautiful things but nothing I can use. I'll keep looking. I think it's wonderful that you and your SIL get along so well dispite the fact your on opposite sides. In my family an argument occurs the minute you voice an opinion that is not the same as yours. You don't have to get nasty about it. Same goes with religion. I thought a civil war was going to occur when I married Bob. I at the time was a devout Catholic and he Lutheran. This did not set well with his family and some very nasty things were said about me and the Catholic Church.

EBJ said...

I love thrift stores. There are only a few in SB but, I always buy when I am there. The Rescue Mission calls me every two months and than comes and collects my donations. It is making me give more junk away. If about 10 moving trucks came by it would be good.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...