Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yes, the house sale in Margate I went to yesterday was at 615 N. Delavan, where my twin and her family had lived 35 years ago. To my surprise, the owner, Carol, immediately recognized Betty's name, saying she had occasionally seen her over the years. I was also surprised to learn that Carol is SIL to Trudy, who was Betty's next door neighbor on Atlantic Avenue, and whom I remember well.
The house is a split-level and Carol and her husband added another whole level for a master bedroom. Carol invited me to come up and see it. It's a huge suite, covering the entire floor. However, they seem to have done very little to the rest of the house since they bought it in 1972. The rec room is still panelled (and it's seen better days), the kitchen looks the same and, aside from paint, it's more or less as it was when Betty and Wes lived there. Carol said it was under contract, so maybe the new owners will renovate.
I have such good memories of that house and the many family gatherings there. The priceless movie Wes recently shared of Easter at 615 North--it has to be more than 40 years ago--took place in that living room. Big Wes was there, and Mom and Aunt Maggie, and our little children, the oldest of whom, Patrick, now approaching 50, was 7 or 8. Where did it all go? Where did they all go?
After chatting with Carol and glancing at the things she had for sale--mostly dismal modern furniture I wouldn't take as a gift--I left a little hurridly. I love and revere the past, but I can't stay there too long or I get melancholy.
I went over to Hamilton Mall to run a few errands, picked up a nice chicken to roast for dinner, and eased myself back to the 21st century. All those little chores and errands, all the minutia, all the things that seem so important at the time (Will the dress fit? Does the plant need water? Did the cake rise?) are what makes us human, it seems to me.
I do like to visit the long-ago, but the present is where I live and I'm glad to be home.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Thank you for the report on Betty and Wes' home in Margate. I remember baby sitting for them one night at that house and they had a big wrap around yellow sectional couch. How's that for memory...must have been mid 60s. I thought it was a beautiful home at the time. I agree with you about not staying too long in the past. Nice to visit, but we don't want to miss out on the present with our emotions all tied up in the past. Keep reporting on your sojourns..I so enjoy reading about them./p
p.s. let me know if Betty says that couch wasn't yellow.

iloveac said...

Also wanted to let you know we went to see "Notes on a Scandal" today and agree with your comment about it. Acting was superb and it was very intense.
I especially liked the scene between Sheba and her husband when they were in the foyer just before she was to leave. "Why didn't you tell me you were unhappy"? I guess after the premarital F***fest (as she called it)....marriage was a bit tedious and of course very difficult with the demands of their child with Down's. They looked quite happy tho' dancing around the table. Good movie.

An even better movie:Try to catch "The Painted Veil"...4 star all the way.

Anonymous said...

This is a test.... I entered someting for you and Pat Rogers about my house in Margate and the yellow sofa.
Why did'nt it print?
EEEK! I don't know.
BJ

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...