Saturday, January 27, 2007

Saw Notes on a Scandal yesterday and boy, was it intense. Barb H., Leslie, and I enjoyed it, although it was somewhat depressing overall. Judi Dench played an incredibly absorbing part and so did Cate Blancett (I think that's misspelled); the underlying theme was age versus youth and it was repeated throughout the movie.
Pat went down the bay while I was gone, but still isn't his usual self. He's taking Tylenol every few hours, but can't seem to articulate why he needs it and in what way he doesn't feel well. As for me, the cold hangs on and on; it has now "settled in my chest" as people used to say, and I have a deep cough. Alison thinks my constant colds are from stress. She had had a number of bad colds last year when she was just finishing up graduate school and had a lot on her plate--even more than now.
It was so good to talk to her. As she's done before, she called me on her way to the Friday night hike. Unfortunately, her Mike also has a bad cold, so didn't go. She said it would probably be the coldest of their regular hikes, as the temperature has really dropped. She's taking Joely and Mike's grandchildren to the aquarium tomorrow, then will come down to visit us on Sunday--yay!
Alison is square in the middle of the "sandwich generation," with aging parents (who, us?) and grandchildren with whom she's also deeply involved. It's just remarkable that she handles everything--including a husband, a home, a very demanding career, and marathon training--with such cheerfulness and grace.
Pat has a doctor's appointment at Fort Dix on Monday and I e-mailed Jen asking if we could stop after and take her and Joely to lunch.
Today, am going to Margate for a house sale--at an address I've visited many times in the past. Stay tuned for exactly where that is.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...