Thursday, January 20, 2022

Wednesday

Got an email from attorney Mazzei in Jersey, telling me he had started the new deed procedure. I replied: "Thank you. The check is in the mail." (I wonder if he got the joke.) Anyway, I actually did put the check in the mail and hope this damn trust thing is soon over.

Left at 11:30 to meet Noreen an hour later in town and just barely made it, as I hadn't checked the bus schedule. No prob, though, she picked me up on Poli Street and off we went to the newly opened Big Bear Restaurant. It was crowded, as we thought it would be, but we were seated within about ten minutes of our arrival. We both got veggie burgers and both opted for salads, a choice of sides coming with the meal.  I had intended to get a beer and Noreen a glass of wine, and we were taken aback to hear the alcohol license hadn't yet come through. Okay, we both had just water.

The place, the food, and the service were all okay, but just okay. The burger was good, but the salad was mediocre (anytime they put shredded carrots in salad, it ain't good).  Also, I was surprised at the cost. We didn't order anything extra and, with tip and no chargable drinks, the bill was $20.60 each. I'm okay with that when it's a higher level place or when I was able to get a beer with my burger, but this wasn't worth it. 

I invited Noreen back to my place for a glass of wine and she accepted; actually, she had a Margarita and I had the wine. We talked and talked for two hours--about our childhoods, her doomed marriage, sex (yep!), our children, and so on. I'm not sure why, but I assumed she was raised Catholic. Nope: She had the wishy-washy Protestant--Baptist, in fact--upbringing and still has a kind of hazy belief in something or other.  Anyway, it was refreshing to talk with no defenses up.

Olivia stopped over while Noreen was there. She would only sit down for a few minutes and wanted to show me a document she intends to present to management. Looked fine to me, but I repeated that I'm not an attorney, which she understands. Anyway, I'll be with her today at 3:00 when management comes to inspect her apartment. 

In the meantime, Suzanne called to say she had gotten four COVID tests free from the government--I'm not sure how that works--and would I like two, one for me and one for Ellen? Sure, but I wonder why she doesn't just keep them to text herself later. Also, I wonder if Ellen and I are entitled to free ones, also. Must look into that. 

Mike messaged me in the evening and--good news!--Violet will attend the camp in the hills of Ojai for a two weeks in July. Also, when he brings her here, he may--it's tentative--work here for a time. I assume he means for those two weeks--that would be wonderful, too.

Mike also guided me on how to add Facebook and Messenger to my phone using the App Store (not the Apple Store--see why I get confused?). It was easy--and free--and I'm going to explore more options there.

Note: Terrible time get back to sleep after waking at 1:30. 

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...