Friday, January 28, 2022

Thursday

Well, I've had better days. It sometimes seems--at least in my life--that when one thing goes wrong, the universe tilts or something and other unrelated screw-ups follow. 

First: What I didn't mention in my last post is that I had been next door at Suzanne's for one of our occasional chats Wednesday evening. Usually, we both have a beer--she O'Doul's, I a real beer. This time, though, I poured myself some cabernet instead--half a glass, certainly no more than three ounces. We talked for twenty minutes or so, then I went home. I'm not sure how it happened, but I fell in the living room. Red wine splashed over the carpet and I got a gash on my right forearm. I immediately used my carpet cleaner, then washed my arm and put Neosporin and a bandage on it. I don't think it's too bad, as it isn't sore--it just looks ugly.

Then: Yesterday morning when I got up, I found an email from my attorney in Jersey. He said that page four of the six-page deed wasn't completed properly--I had signed as the "Grantor," but didn't realize I was supposed to sign as "Deponent," too. Also, I had to provide the last three numbers of my S.S. number, not the last four. Okay, so I trekked back to Live Scan and the notary did the new one--didn't charge me for this. Had to again scan all six pages and email them to the attorney. I HOPE this won't have some minor little thing wrong, too.

Then: I had a 8:00 am blood test at Quest. I got there early (it's right across the street inside Von's), and was pleased to be taken right away. Nursie asked which arm, I said left, she tried several times, but it just wasn't flowing. Said she'd have to do the right. Okay, fine. She tried and tried, but no luck--I'm bloodless in upper extremities, I guess. She finally said she's have to get it from my hand and she did. She was very nice and apologetic and I wasn't upset with her at all--the jabs weren't that painful--but it seemed to point up the fact that I'm a plaything of the powers that be--or something. 

Then: This is just puzzling: I got a Message from son Mike in Singapore, asking why I had tried to Facetime him at 2:30 am. I wrote back that I didn't, but I must had accidentally hit something on my phone, or whatever. 

Anyway, I was in low mood most of the day until Ellen called on her way home from work. I always feel better after talking to her and, as I told her my tale of woe, I realized I was over-reacting. Had one of my vegan (spaghetti squash, potatoes, peas and carrots) dinners, showered, re-dressed my wound, and am emerging nicely from my somber mood. 


 

2 comments:

Pat said...

We older folks do fall sometimes for no reason we can think of. Since you live alone it might be a good idea to wear one of those pendants so you're not on the floor for hours. I wear mine all the time because I've tripped or lost my balance. Or get Alexa so you can just say "Alexa" call Ellen or 9 11 .

Mimi said...

I'd probably go for the Alexa thing, rather than the pedant. Incidentally, I probably didn't make clear that I was actually feeling the effects of the wine. I hadn't had anything to eat for several hours and, even though I had only a small amount, it went to my head as the saying goes. That's one of the (several) reasons I don't drink when I'm alone. Naturally, the other is that I like it too much and I'm aware of my siblings' backgrounds.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...