Thursday, January 13, 2022

Squash

Julie picked me up at 10:00 and off we went to the farmers market. Here are the goodies I gathered:
That's a very large bunch of romaine and below it is a delicata squash. I like squash of all stripes (ha) and don't remember ever seeing one like it. The citrus are little mandarins, of course; I have one with my oatmeal breakfast every day. That purpley thing is called a pepito. I had never heard of it before, but it was described to me as a fruit that tastes like cantaloupe and honeydew. I love to try new foods, assuming they're not spicy, so bought it. I was told to wait until it turns mostly yellow, so I will.

After galivanting so much on Tuesday, I thought I'd better keep my nose to the everlasting grindstone and tackle the chores I've been putting off. I spent a lot of time gathering up the documents I need to take to the lawyer this morning to finally get the trust written up. My appointment's at 10:00 and I hope this finally gets the deed done.

Most of the rest of the day I reserved for food prep. I cored and quartered four pounds of apples, cut and up and added two oranges, and put them in the slow cooker with cinnamon. Prepared the lettuce I had just bought; it was so big I had some for lunch, and will get two more salad lunches out of it. Cut the squash in half, removed the seeds, then sliced into it rounds; added a little olive oil, and roasted for about 35 minutes in a hot oven. They came out like this:
I had three rounds with my vegan dinner (spinach and bean stew) and oh, mama, were they good! The flesh is creamy, with a very faint sweetness. I'll be sure to look for this squash again...

...speaking of which, I spotted this giant where I bought the pepito:
I thought it was a watermelon, but no, it's a squash. I didn't have the nerve to buy it--didn't think I could handle it, but I loved the look of it. I never thought much about squash before, but now I'm intrigued by their variety and I'll keep trying new types. 

Aiden from the office called to ask when I wanted my carpets cleaned. I told him Tuesday, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I can get everything moved into the kitchen area myself. Naturally, I won't move the sofa or TV table and the other things aren't heavy, but the problem is--will I have the space?

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...