Thursday, June 03, 2021

My Dad And The Doldrums

Put in a load of wash before breakfast. Walked to The Market for tomatoes, onions, butternut squash, and other goodies; bused back. I made my usual concoction of what amounts to stewed tomatoes (but much more flavorful than the stuff from a can) and popped it in the to cook while I had lunch.

Started over to Von's for vinegar and ran into Vickie and Mary, plus Mary's daughter, Laura, to whom I was introduced. coming in from a walk. (Ha--awkward sentence, but the hell with it!) Laura went to Cal Poly and lives in San Luis Obispo; I liked her. Vickie immediately pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of her incision from her lumpectomy on Tuesday; she's scheduled for radiation on the fifteen. I'll invite them to lunch when as it's okay for her. 

Yesterday was the seventy-first anniversary of my father's death. I posted his death certificate on Facebook and was surprised when my nephew wrote that there's an on-line book called A River Again, which mentions the accident that took his and a colleague's lives. My other nephew sent this, which I had already known about:


I'm not sure why the second part is enlarged and cut off. I know Betty had this clipping--and, in fact, actually tracked down the truck driver years ago--long story that, which I won't go into. Anyway, it was, of course, for all of us, a life-changing event. We would never be the same.

I called Jim after dinner and we chatted; he'll come over for lunch today, which should help pull me out of the doldrums. 




 

1 comment:

iloveac said...

So sad to have that memory. What a horrible experience it must have been for all of you. It just plain hurts.

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...