Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Dave And Doing Dinner

I was surprised and pleased when my nephew, Dave Wessel, called about 7:00 am (he lives in New Hampshire and must have forgotten the time difference, but no prob, I had been up for a while. This is my older sister's third son and he's writing a chronicle of his Dad. My brother-in-law, Carl and his parents left their homeland, Germany just before WWII.  Dave wanted to know if I remembered how he and Gene (Jean) met. Unfortunately, I don't remember. I was only 11 when they were married and they had probably met two years or more earlier. Later, I called my brother, Larry, to see if he remembered, but no, he didn't, either. I do have a vague memory that it was at a gathering of some kind--maybe they had a mutual acquaintance, which isn't too unlikely, as the Wessels had settled in Absecon. Dave's sister, my niece, Joan, also called to thank me for the stamps I had sent her.

I got to the Stone Fire Grille a little early, but before long, Gayle and Anna came in. We greeted each other with hugs and great pleasure. Soon, Vera, Susan, and Hannah came in, then others, until we had a group of about twenty. An unusual factor was the five men who attended; for various reasons (we outlive them, for one), we have very few men and it was refreshing to see them. 

What a great time we had! This is the first time we in Soaring Spirits have gathered for dinner since COVID hit (I missed the first lunch two weeks ago) and there was, of course, an enormous amount of catching up to do. We met at 6:00 and didn't part until 8:30. 

Anna took me home and I returned Ellen's call. She gave me a few instructions on kitty care and asked if I'd like for the she and I to go somewhere for two days. Yes, I'd love to, and she discussed where. We'll talk about where soon.  

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...