Sunday, March 14, 2021

Happy Day!

I got a delightful surprise call about 9:00 am from Betty's son, Wes, visiting from Chicago. Could he bring his mother over? Yes, of course, and I told him they must stay for lunch. Cleaned up a bit (just a lick and a promise, as the saying goes), then ran over to Von's for turkey breast, pesto pasta salad, Corona Extra for Wes and me, and diet Coke for Betty. High-tailed it home and had hardly walked in the door when Wes called to say they were at the gate. I let them in and welcomed Wes, Betty, and Claire, Carolyn's daughter, whom I was pleased to see was with them. This is the first time I've had company in--what, a year? Happy day!

We had such a great time: talked and laughed and reminisced. I brought out some albums of old-time Byrne'es, plus documents, such as my parents' wedding certificate, and so on. Wes is very much into genealogy and greatly enjoyed them. Served lunch then more of the same. Wes has one of those things that fit over your face and you can "see" various places he has videos of--I think. Unfortunately, my hi-fi is connected only to my laptop, so I couldn't see it. However, he suggested I come to Santa Barbara in the next few days (he leaves to go home on Wednesday). I'm not sure if it's feasible; we'll talk about it.

Here they are: Betty in the middle with her boy and her grandgirl:

Wes took one with Betty, Claire, and me and a selfie with all four of us, but I don't have it yet.

They stayed until about 3:30, when we regretfully said goodbye. There are going to be some changes in Betty's life on Monday and I hope all goes well. 

Jim had called me earlier and we discussed his class (going better than he expected, considering the 18- weeks class compressed into 8-weeks problem). He asked about lunch and I said I'd get back to him; did so and we made a date for tomorrow. It's been chilly and I asked if he'd be comfortable eating inside. Sure, fine (we've both had the vaccine), so we will. YAY--company again!


 


  


No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...