Friday, June 29, 2018

Uber And Alice

After Kimball and breakfast, I called the Smart 'n' Final and was told the manager here should fill out an incident report and take a picture. (You'd think he'd know to do that himself.) I went back after lunch, gave him the message and he took a pic. I assume he'll fill out a report and submit and will go back to be sure he did.
In the meantime, before lunch, I spent hours on getting my reservation for the shuttle to LAX on the sixteenth and trying to contact Uber to get me to Four Points Sheraton by 4:30 am. Still haven't gotten to them.
Now I was in a sour mood. However, it lifted when I look through my memorabilia and found a letter from my Uncle Tom to my Dad, dated September, 1938. Why so? Because I had been contacted by an attorney, who (as a volunteer) is working to restore the stone work at the Mifflin School in Philly.  Those stones came from my grandparents' farm in Roxborough. The attorney wrote that she had been told by a librarian there that I had contacted her twelve years ago and said I had a letter regarding the stones. I had no recollection of that, but lo and behold, I found the letter--in fact, a second letter, both referring to the stones.
I scanned the letters and sent them to the attorney, Alice Ballard.  She was just thrilled and I was so pleased to have been able to provide them. I also called my brother, Jim, who had given the letters to me in the first place. (Sadly, he sounded a bit befuddled; he's now 92.) I also called my cousin, John, as he has a lot of the family lore.
Anyway, that raised my spirits and after I got back from my town walk, I shared the story via the e-mails with my siblings, and with John.

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...