Friday, June 01, 2018

The Museum And Toastmasters

At Kimball, Carolyn (of Carolyn, Bob, and the two yappy little dogs) stopped me to ask if I ever went to the museum. Of course, every day, in fact. She was interested in a kind of fashion show and reception they're having; however, it's $70 and neither of us want to go that much. I told her I'd give her my card this morning and we'll plan something.
Noreen called to see how I did at T.O.P.S. She forgot I don't go until today, but we had a good chat.
Betty called after breakfast; she's now at her son, Steve's, in L.A., where she'll be until Monday, then to daughter, Carolyn's, for the graduation party. Steve's boy is also "graduating"--from fourth grade  or something--the week after next and maybe I'll go to that; she didn't have much info on it.
I made up my lunch and took off for the museum. On my way, I got a call from Cherie, of Dudley House, and we had a long talk, partly while I was driving (yes, I know, shouldn't have) and after I pulled in. I feel much more confident about impersonating Caroline Dudley at the county fair, as Cherie has props and lots of info. I asked her to critique my performance after I work it up. Got an e-mail from Director Connie K., also, and I asked her to do the same.
I got to the museum about 12:45 and was directed to the courtyard. People were sitting at tables with umbrellas (luckily--it was very warm) and a young woman was playing her guitar and singing. Gee, it was lovely to sit there in the sun, eating my lunch and listening to music. Think I'll make it a regular thing. I walked to the library after, but didn't go on, just walked back, as I wanted to get home to shower and wash my hair before Humor & Drama Toastmasters.
I did my research talk (history of the flush toilet), which incredibly, went over big, although I wasn't happy with my delivery at all. The guy  who owns several Dan, the Pizza Man, restaurants, was there, and we got acquainted. He's only in his thirties, is good-looking and so personable. It turned out he's an area director of  Toastmasters, as well as being a member of several clubs. We had a ball talking. Even better, Rasika (can't remember her last name) was there.
This is a young woman--maybe 25 or so--whom I had heard speak at the area Toastmasters gathering several months ago. She did a wonderfully inventive, hysterically funny kind of sketch at which everybody howled.  I had mentioned in my talk that "National Toilet Day" is on November 19 and Rasika opened her shtick by saying that was her parent's anniversary and bouncing off some funnies on it. After, we walked out together to her car and she gave me some printed info on the upcoming show she's appearing in. This is in L.A. and unfortunately, I just noticed start very late, at 10:30 pm. Think I'll share with Betty's son and daughter-in-law; the latter does stand-up herself.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...