Saturday, June 09, 2018

Graduation

For the first time in months, I missed the Kimball walk, as I was on the train at 6:12 am. Got in 45 or so later, to be greeted by Carolyn's husband, Dana and off we went to his and Carolyn's place.
After enthusiastic greetings (especially from Calvin; I thought he'd knock me over wagging his tail), we chatted for a bit, then walked to Claire's school. This is only down the block, across a street, and through a field, so very convenient. However, Claire is leaving here and will be taking a bus to middle school.
The graduation ceremony was actually very well done.* There was a short introduction by the principal, a  few songs, and each child went to the microphone and said a few words about his or her memory of going there. After, there were refreshments and mingling with others--very enjoyable. We then walked home and Betty and I chatted while I had a cold Blue Moon and Carolyn made the yummy lunch.
This was well done, too.  Besides the beer and nicely-chilled wine (yes, I had some Chardonnay, too), Carolyn served cheese and crackers, a green salad, a delicious bow-tie pasta salad, and lemon cake. I had brought a batch of my crystal pickles and they went over big, too.  Another couple and their daughter, who was Claire's best friend, came and we all had a great time eating out in the backyard and talking and laughing.
The others left and the rest of us mostly sat and chatted.  I'm not used  to sitting so large a part of the day, so suggested we take a walk, which Betty, Carolyn, and I did. Betty will be going to L.A. to her son's next weekend and we discussed the possibility of her taking the train to spend some time with me after. We'll see and I haven't yet decided if I want to go there myself.
I took the last train back to Ventura at 7:02, after hugs, loves, and thank-yous all around. Enjoyed the short train trip back, picked up my car, and got in before dark. I saw that Suzanne's car was there, so remembered she's back from Iowa.  I rang her bell to give her her mail, then said I'd catch up with her another time to hear about her trip.
*Remembering our graduations from St. James and HSHS, I remarked to Betty and family it sure beat listening to a priest drone on.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...