Sunday, June 03, 2018

Another Day, Another Party

Just the usual went on in the morning and early afternoon, then I prepared for the barbecue. Sliced strawberries and combined them with peach slices (thawed) and lots of fresh blueberries, assembled all, then set off for Donna's, only about two miles away.
She has a beautiful big house, beautifully decorated, with a large yard, shaded patio, and nicely laid out kitchen. I got there shortly after 4:00 and there were already lots of people. I immediately saw Joe L., Donna's 92-year-old father, sitting at a table with friends. There was an empty chair and after we embraced, he urged me to sit there.  After getting a Stella, I did, and met his friends from The Townhouse, where he lives.  Joe graduated from Rider in the forties.
My widder group friends came shortly later--Gayle, Susan, Carolyn, and Barbara--and we laughed  over the "two days, two parties" thing--we had all been at Vera's on Friday. Soon, I drifted over to them, then moved around here and there, talking to various. I met lots of interesting new people, including Donna's SO, a real keeper named Mark. He's not only tall and good-looking, but he has a sense of humor and not the juvenile jokey kind. His in-laws and their grown son and his husband were there.  His in-laws? Yes, both Donna and Mark were widowed, but his late wife's parents have become friends with Donna (which isn't hard--she's wonderful).  I had an instant rapport with Jim, the FIL, and we talked for quite some time.
Later, we five from the widder group sat and talked together, covering a multitude of topics, from gun control to pacifism to a cruise we might take together. There was a lot of yummy food, of course, and I was pleased to see my fruit almost gone. I had plenty, in addition to the beer, plus plenty of white and red wine.
We didn't leave until 8:30 after one of the best parties I've ever attended.
 


No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...