Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Toastmasters

Busy as ever. Walked Kimball and so on, then met the widder group at noon. I was pleased that Nancy came and I gave her the info on the Dudley House Christmas boutique, starting the weekend after Thanksgiving. We had a good time, as ever, and I even ordered off the menu--getting adventurous, I am. I had a shrimp taco, but told them to hold the tortillas and just had the shrimp and greens.
Went from there directly to town, as I wasn't going to let a third day go by without my m. to l. walk. Stayed for a bit reading some New Yorker articles from the sixties in a new book.
Got home and printed out some invites to the performance. Took them to Toastmasters (the Poinsettia chapter)*, which was held in Fern's house. She's a longtime member and, in fact, is in three different Toastmasters chapters. She must be at least my age, maybe older, and her house is very large and nicely appointed. We had the meeting in a big separate area, all screened in, and with a big bar and other appointments.
I got there early, in order to fill out an application for the Humor and Drama chapter and Fern and I chatted. She asked if she and I could do one of my playlets as our "assignments" for Toastmasters. I agreed and I'll bring Impostor and When Cooks Confer over to her place shortly, so we can go over them and decide which is best to present.
The meeting was fun. John and Noreen were both there and, of course, I'll see them today at Acting for Amateurs. In fact, I still need to pull together some of the wigs and other costume parts I'm taking. We'll have a regular rehearsal in the big room, then go to the other to decide on costuming.
We all had a ball at Toastmasters, which included a neat routine prescribed by Cece, who served as "Table Talk" master. She paired us together and we were told we had to devise a one-minute routine, with each person saying only one word. She paired me with Rachel, who had mentioned earlier that she lost her phone. We went in a corner to decide what we'd do and I suggested we hit off that. She liked the idea and her word being "mine," my word "no." Of course, we pretended I had stolen her phone and went through various histrionics about it. I must say it made a hit and I liked the idea so much I asked Cece if I could use it in a future class. She readily agreed.
Didn't get home until 8:30 and was up another hour, dirty stay-out that I am.
*I add the name because I actually get confused about which chapter--Poinsettia or Humor & Drama--I'm to attend. Many of the same people are in both, as I am now.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...