Saturday, November 18, 2017

"A Little Taste of Theatre"

Walked Kimball, tossed the salad I had made Thursday, then took off for T.O.P.S. I didn't think I'd lose this time, considering how often I skipped my town walk, but I did: only 1.2 pounds, but I'll take it. I'm now at 138.2 and feeling good.
We had the potluck, with plenty of food-I-won't eat because it's not what I eat. I had my own salad and a little of a sweet potato/kale dish and a very slim slice of Carole's quiche. This didn't even make a nod to the healthy food, but it was good.
Carole surprised me by giving me a bottle of Coppola Chardonnay. Yes, the director has his own brand. Anyway, I was delighted and will serve it on Sunday when I have Jim, Suzanne, and Ellen for dinner.
Rushed home from there to pack up all the gear for the show. Changed--and I must say I looked good in black and white, and got to SCAN by 2:30. Happily, the class that had met there was just leaving, so Brianne, Brenda, and I set up the place. My players started coming in by 2:45 and by 3:00, they were all there except John, my fill-in.
We had a fair number of people in the audience, which pleased me, and the players did well.
I was especially happy with Sharon, who seemed to have finally learned timing. She did a very good job in the comedic "Help Wanted--Not!" I wasn't nearly as pleased with somebody else, who is a very tiresome show-off. She seems to need constant attention for one reason or another and she's a royal pain in the ass. Char was good a lot of the time, although uneven and Noreen was one of the best of all those I've taught. Jim has improved mightily and John was adequate in his very small role. Unfortunately, M. continues to be exactly as inadequate as when she started. She's such a sweet person, so very likable, and her stated aim to to join Actors Equity. In fact, she asked me for some ideas on attaining that. I gave her the same three-page letter I've given many others who have told me they want to act, but I fear it just isn't in the cards. In every role, dramatic or comic, she voices the same unvarying tone, which is sweet, soft, and exceedingly boring.
However, the show went well. Got home about 5:00 and rang Suzanne's doorbell. She invited me in and we had a nice talk. Later, El called and asked what she could bring tomorrow. I said a vegetable of some kind; Suzanne's bringing a potato dish, and I'll serve baked salmon. If I have time, maybe I'll make applesauce. I do what to make a dessert--wouldn't dream of buying it.
When I got up this morning, the computer was out. Unplugged and re-plugged and finally got it working. It's terrible how dependent I am on it.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...