Monday, November 06, 2017

Dudley House

Heaven forfend! For the second day in a row, I didn't walk in town. However, I think my activities made up for that.
Of course, I walked Kimball. Came home to do my Sunday crossword; usually, I don't get a few clues (and I don't obsess over it--I have other things to obsess over), but this time, I got them all. I spent a fair amount of time assembling salad ingredients: sliced lettuce, chopped chicken, quartered tomatoes and dressed them with oil and vinegar to add. I was annoyed with myself that I accidentally bought zucchini, thinking they were cucumbers. Looked here, there, and everywhere for the template for the invitation to the performance, finally found it, and modified to fit the upcoming performance. I had about half of the salad for lunch, then got ready for my docent duties at Dudley House.
If I say it myself, I looked pretty good. Wore the same long black skirt, white blouse, and straw hat I had before (when I was just a greeter), and set off much too early. Waited around the property until Lynn came. Two other docents, Sherry and Karla, who are mother and daughter, came and it was fun getting to know them. Although I had never acted as tour guide before and hadn't had any actual training (just some written material), I did well. I guess I'm a quick study, as I had to glance at the material only a few times. Anyway, it was pretty much back to back with people coming in. At the end of the day, we had had forty in various family groups, including several with children. Most were good, although one pair of sisters--I'd say maybe 4 and 5--were little hellions, grabbing things and running here and there. Why their mother would ever take them to an historic house tour is beyond me.
Considering Lynn's persona--crazed house mother--I'm surprised the day went fairly smoothly. However, at one point, I had finished the porch and the dining/sitting room, and was halfway through my spiel in the parlor for one group, when she rushed in with an entire family--parents and three daughters. It made no sense to me that she didn't wait and have me start over. I did enjoy it, though, and will attend the potluck for docents on Thursday.
It's funny: I have a lot of stamina and don't tire easily, but at the end of the day, I was pooped, which is why I skipped the town walk. I'll resume my usual routine today. Also have widder lunch at noon and Toastmasters this evening.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...