Sunday, January 04, 2015

Scarves and Jewelry

Wowee--I didn't see it coming, but yesterday's jewelry/scarfs clean up and clear-out session was the most problematic yet.
Jewelry, after, consists of relatively tiny metal objects that hang on the body, and I have lots of it.  I have not one, but two, jewel boxes: a little oriental "bureau"--four drawers and gold fittings--I've had for about forty years, and one in imitation alligator or something that looks vaguely like a small traveling case.  I bought that at the thrift store six or eight years ago.
Following Mari again, I put my folded scarfs--maybe thirty of them--out on one side of my bed.  That was quick and easy, but then I got to the jewelry.  I have a dark spread, so I put some large linen napkins down and started with earrings.  I counted 87 pair, until I got tired of counting.  Then I put out my bracelets.
Now, I'm a self-confessed bracelet freak--and I discovered I have more than 40 of them.  Of necklaces, not so many, but certainly 20 or so, most of which I hardly ever wear.  I also have a number of pins (hardly ever wear pins, either) and other miscellany, such as scarf clips and what used to be called "cocktail rings."  It took me a lo-o-n-g time to lay all this stuff out so I could examine it, then choose what to keep.  
I had to keep in mind two facts: 1.) That, aside from my wedding and engagement rings,* I wear jewelry only when I "dress up" in some way and how often is that?  Maybe once or twice a month; 2.) that I almost invariably choose from the same two or three pairs of earrings and four or five bracelets; I wear necklaces only occasionally and have three or four favorites.
Finally, with much deliberating and worry about regrets, I chose what I want to keep.  Arranged the rest artistically on linen napkins on the dining room table, along with the scarves I'm not keeping. I'll invite my friend (she and her husband are coming down today) to take what she wants, then I'll cart the rest off to the thrift store.
Was happy to get Skyped by sweet baby, K., who is rapidly coming more a little boy than a baby.  He was having breakfast--or "bresfess," as his Dad used to say--then showed off the two cuddly bunnies his Mommy had made him.  Lucky K. to have such parents!
* By choice, I haven't taken off my wedding ring (platinum) since my husband placed it on my finger fifty-six years ago.  I'd like to take off my engagement ring (platinum, one-carat diamond and two baguettes), but I can't; my finger has gotten too plump.  I regularly wear two other rings on my right ring finger: my husband's gold wedding ring and one with six small diamonds my family gave me when I got  my bachelor's degree twenty years ago. (Yes, I was a late bloomer.)

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...