Sunday, January 18, 2015

Unassigned Consignments

Arrived at my friend's a bit after 10:00, the car packed with items I thought I might be able to unload at the consignment shop: the crystal champagne glasses I gave the bride, groom, and attendants for the toast at my grandson's wedding twelve years ago; six very large, attractive baskets; the steel case that holds roughly 300 of the slides my husband took while he was stationed in Chaumont, France sixty years ago; a large platter that's surely more than a hundred years old; two Soviet Union posters; a five-level plant holder; and quite a bit more.
We were planning to take our treasures to a place in Maple Shade. Friend called first, did so, and found the owner has received an eviction notice and had to be gone in 30 days.  Yoicks, now what? Okay, friend and husband loaded my stuff into their van, hooked one of their two trailers on, laboriously put a large desk and some antique pictures in it, and we drove off to Chesterfield to an auction place.  They put their items in the shed as they had been instructed--not a soul around--then we went back to their place and had lunch.
Friend called around to other consignment shops, but for one reason or another, they're weren't buying.  About 2:00, we transferred my stuff back to my car, I said goodbye, and drove to the consignment shop in Manahawkin run by husband and wife dwarves.
They were cordial, but said they were more interested in "funky"--meaning up-to-date, I guess--goods and suggested I go to Goodtime Antiques on Bay Avenue.  I did, and talked to the owner.  She didn't want the things I had in the car, but said she might be interested in some of my silver pieces and my lady desk.  Asked me to e-mail her pictures, and she'd decide.
I'm really not too hung up about this.  Sure, I'd love to get money for my stuff, but that may not be feasible.  Stopped at Acme and got a ham shank, as I want to make lentil soup/stew tomorrow.
Was delighted to again have a virtual breakfast with baby, courtesy of Skype.  K. gets more adorable all the time.  He's looking and acting much older and seems considerably more mature than the ordinary sixteen month old.  Am I biased?  Yes, indeedy.
Seeing the opera Hansel and Gretel today.    

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seems that everything is shifting and moving fine, with all those daily routines on the side. I just hope that you have all the necessary stuff tightly packed on your car, and that none was lost in the hustle and bustle of all that action. All the best!

Clay Delgado @ World Packaging Inc.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...