Thursday, January 22, 2015

"Birthday" Lunch

Turned out to be a pleasant day.  I left for Atlantic County early--too early, as I often annoyingly do--so I could pick up some Chardonnay at Canal's.  Included a chilled bottle and brought that to the luncheon at the culinary arts restaurant of Atlantic Cape Community College.  Parking was yea far, but no matter, I like to walk. Got there about fifteen minutes early, but sat down, had a glass of wine poured (the hovering manager/faculty member did it), and pulled my Kindle out to continue my book.
Others--seven of them, including Betty--got there shortly and we had a good, if not superb lunch.  The staff were all students, of course, and good grief, they seem to be admitting 14-year-olds!  Or I'm doddering--oh, no, that can't be it.
Anyway, they were courteous and generally efficient.  Entrees included chicken with Brussels sprouts and mashed sweet potatoes (very good), shrimp (much too spicy for my taste), and pork roast with a kind of gravy or sauce (excellent).  Soup, salad, and dessert came with it, as well as the usual soda, iced tea, and coffee.  We toasted Betty's birthday (actually, ours was a month earlier) with the wine and had a nice time. During it, she received a text that her daughter-in-law's mother had died--or rather, as announced in today's I-never-met-a-euphemism-I didn't-like phraseology, "passed."
The snow started just as we left, but there was no problem driving home.  I think we got a few inches.  Aline and I had planned to go to breakfast today but I'll have to see what the roads are like before I confirm or cancel.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...