Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow and the Sniper

Okay, the snow arrived stealthily last night--looks to be about three inches, if that, so hardly the storm of the century. Yesterday, there was just a dusting when Susan and I took our walk; no ice, I was happy to realize.
As soon as I got home, I drove to Acme to get ONLY split peas, so I could make soup with the ham bone. Of course, I came out with lots of other non-essentials, including a big bag of lemons, most of which I cut into wedges and froze.
At the store, I had an odd experience:  I saw a woman who looked just like me.  Now, I'm sure there are other women who look like me (especially in Ireland; I favor the paternal side), and maybe elsewhere, too, but I've never seen anyone with so striking a resemblance.  I actually followed her around a bit and finally, wanting to see her more closely, I approached her, excused myself and said, "Are you Marilyn's mother?"  "No," she said, rather curtly, and I apologized and moved on.  I'm thinking about a possible play with a theme like this, as I've always been fascinated by the doppelganger idea.  Later, when my friend came over, I told her about this and we mused over the idea that it wasn't me sitting there talking to her, but the woman in Acme.
My friend brought me an electric heater and informed me she had sold my old car for $250--yay!  As I often remark, there's nothing like money to make people happy.
Put the peas, plus carrots, onions, potatoes, and broth in the slow cooker, and set it a-simmering. Polished some silver and cut up the lemons. Sectioned both halves of my grapefruit and put them in the fridge for breakfast. Had a bowl of my soup--it came out great--and took some over to Susan.
Betty called and we chatted for quite a while, both snug in our homes, weather be damned.  I was sorry to hear that a mutual friend and fellow HSHS '54 grad, Mary H., was in the hospital with a badly broken ankle.  She'll have surgery on Friday.  I called and spoke to her sister.
David C., the son of an acquaintance, called and I filled him in about LETCO.  The information was sketchy, but hey, that's how our group operates; I said I'd call him when we start meeting or rehearsing for the April show.  I'm a bit concerned by his diction, as he doesn't seem to articulate well, but maybe will improve.  E-mailed the other members of the board about him.
Got up to good news just now: an e-mail from Mike saying he'd be here next month from the 13th to the 16th on his way to Texas. Happy day--I can't wait to see him!
WIDER:  The popularity of that sniper movie makes me despair.  It seems a perfect manifestation of Orwell's last lines in 1984:  "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever."










    No comments:

    Wednesday

    It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...