Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Acting Class

Picked up Aline and headed down to the Margate Library for my class.  Had to park a bit away and, boy, how fierce that wind is coming off the ocean.
I explained that Doris was unable to be there, so I had postponed her and Aline's playlet.  Sondra was unable to come, also, as she was with her soon-to-be-dead cat; that is, it was being put to sleep.
Linda and Sheila performed A Conversation in Summer--reasonably well, but I doubt if Meryl Streep has to worry.  We discussed the play and characters, then I critiqued their performances privately.  I was taken aback that Linda had memorized her part.  I hadn't realized she has a serious vision problem--not sure what it is--but it's hard for her to read print. However, she did all right and I'll contact her before the next session to see how I can facilitate things for her.
I then distributed the two short paragraphs I had quickly whipped up, and had the eight participants recite as whatever character they had picked from my infamous little red box.  I had the rest judge which they were supposed to be and they did okay, although none had added the gestures, facial expressions, and so on that I specifically mentioned ahead of time.  Okay, we'll get to that.
What always surprises me is the enjoyment they get out of this class and the great appreciation they express after each session. Geez, I just take it off the top of my head, but they're always so complimentary, it really gives me a boost.
Got Aline to work by 12:30, as promised, then went home to have lunch and pack up two more boxes for Ventura.  Took them to the P.O., dropped off two more at the thrift store, stopped at the doctor's office to have my new insurance info entered, then drove up to Shop-Rite.  Bought, and had for dinner, garlic chicken by P.F. Chang--yummy good and I ate it all.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I think your class sounds like great fun. I'd love to be in it. Maybe it is off the top of your head, but that head is full of creativity. And the expression "soon-to-be-dead-cat" was perfect.

Mimi said...

Thank you, ma'am.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...