Sunday, January 18, 2015

Enjoyed...

Regardless of the lousy weather--rain, more rain, plus additional rain--I had an enjoyable day.  Susan and I cut our walk to about a mile, but sloshed through okay.
Every Sunday, I look forward to the "Cryptoquote" and crossword puzzle in the Press of Atlantic City--about the only thing it's good for--and after I dried off, I spent an absorbed hour on them.
Washed, dried, and folded several loads of clothes, following Mari's admonition to roll them and put them in drawers, rather than hanging.  After, I prepared my soup/stew with lentils, spinach, chopped onions, diced garlic, and the nice ham shank I bought the other day.  Added seasonings and two containers of "vegetable juice" (I freeze the water in which I cook vegetables, as it's full of nutrients). Left it simmering in the slow cooker, jumped in the shower, and dressed for "Sunday Musical Arts" at the clubhouse.
The CD was the Met's 2008 production of Hansel and Gretel and it was superb.  Humperdinck's original music was used, of course, just as presented in 1894, but the words were in English, a rare treat. Even better, we also got English subtitles.  Of course, the original fairy tale was modified, enlarged, and added to. There were food themes throughout, plus plenty of physicality. The performers handled it incredibly well, all the while delivering complicated arias.  Incidentally, Hansel was played by a woman and the wicked witch by a man.
Renee Fleming acted as hostess and a wonderful bonus was the addition of behind-the-scenes vignettes.  We witnessed singers being made up, measured, and dressed, as well set workers scurrying around in the wings, and an interview with the stage manager.
Got home about 3:30 and walked into the yummy aroma of my lentil soup, now done to a tee. Couldn't resist a bowl of it right away and if I say it immodestly myself:  DE-LISH!
The top-off to the day was a Skype visit from my west coast girl; good talk and I said hello to her Gregg, who was preparing dinner.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...