Friday, January 30, 2015

Varied

Off we went at 9:15 to breakfast at John & Sonya's.  We duplicated last Thursday's meal and activities, but that's okay.  I don't mind being in a rut if it's comfortable.
After dropping Aline off at the library, I went home and packed up the additional D.Q. items, took the box to the P.O., then stopped at various places for errands. Took a bunch of wires for electronics to Best Buy, dropped off a printer cassette at Staples (you get a coupon for two bucks for each), and picked up lettuce and rice cakes at Acme.
When I started my car, the horn suddenly came to life and blew over and over; I must have accidentally hit the "trying to steal my car" button on the key holder. I should be embarrassed to admit it (but I'm not) that I didn't know how to turn it off.  I finally did, but I'm not sure how. Should I read the manual?  Nah.
Wrote a letter to my old boss at Rider, Shirley Turner, and enclosed her thirty-three-year-old, five-dollar check.  E-mailed her to alert her to that, as I haven't seen her for six years.  She's now retired from the university, but is still a state assembly senator.
Spent more time in packing things up for the thrift store; will take it tomorrow when they're open late.
Betty called to say Mary H. had had her surgery, and was doing reasonably well, although it was a bad break.
I made myself throw my silver vegetable dish cover away.  The handle is broken and, according to the jeweler, base metal isn't worth being melted down, so out it goes. I'm steeling myself to do the same with the big silver tray I always liked, too.  Handle is off and it doesn't shine up as well as it did, so there's no point in keeping it. They were both wedding presents...
Don't know why I'm so damn sentimental.  Geez, they're just hunks of stuff, yet I have to hold back tears when I think of throwing them away.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...