Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lentils and Death

Packed up more priceless treasures--read "junk"--for the thrift store and the consignment shop and put the boxes on their respective tables in the garage.
Met Betty at Italian Gourmet and we had a pleasant lunch and good, sisterly time.  After, I stopped at the Shop-Rite across the street to pick up a few items.  Have had a hankering for lentil soup (or soup/stew--I make it thick), so got some lentils. Must pick up some ham at Acme.
Looked into Facebook and was so sorry to read that Cathy Carter-Romaro has died.  She was in Rider's communications department--director of "Creative Projects," whatever that is--and I knew her fairly well.  I was surprised to see she was 49; I remembered her as much younger.  Well, you goof, Mimi, you retired twelve years ago, so yeah, she was 37 then.  Darn, though, I didn't know she was sick (cancer) and I feel a sadness, as I always do confronted by the death of someone I know.
Say what you will about a reaching a happy haven heaven and flitting around with the angels, or lying down to a welcome eternal snooze, or that quintessential American cliche, beloved of the simple-minded, "you should regard death is just another part of life."
Yeah, like learning to swim or your first kiss, I guess--aagh!


No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...