Friday, January 02, 2015

Tidying Up

Started my Japanese style of "tidying," following as far as possible my new guru, Mari.  She insists you begin your discarding project with clothing, and do tops (blouses, sweaters, tee-shirts, etc.) first. She advises putting everything on the floor, then handling each one, and concentrating on whether it gives you joy...
I can understand why the floor thing would seem natural to her: In Japan, people usually sleep on futons on the floor.  I modified by spreading all my tops on my bed (luckily, it's king-sized).  Took most from my walk-in closet, but more from the guest room (mostly costumes, some of which belong to Our Gang Players), and the hall closet.  I had to try on a lot of them just to see if they still fit.  Separated all into some to give away (those I grew out of, I'm afraid), some to donate (serviceable, but not great), and those I'll toss.  I diligently folded both short- and long-sleeved tops and set them on edge.  (Mari doesn't approve of hanging most things.)  Did the slacks and skirts next, then tackled socks and underwear. By then, I had had enough; I'll turn to shoes, scarfs, outer wear, and miscellaneous clothing (bathing suits and so on) tomorrow.
Had some whipped cream cheese, deviled ham, and pesto left, so spread them on bread for a yummy lunch.
Drove to Shop-Rite all the way up in Waretown--just because I felt like it--and picked up a few items.  Betty called while I was there and we chatted.  I invited her to come when she gets back from CA and I'll take her to lunch, using the gift certificate I won at the Women's Club luncheon.
Filled in birthdays and other important dates on the new 2015 calendar and pursued a minor interest in "Grey Gardens" (Jackie O.'s eccentric aunt and cousin) on YouTube.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...