Friday, January 31, 2014

Holy Spirit And Rehearsal

Got to Holy Spirit early, but found the principal right away.  "Linda," a teacher or guidance counselor, took me to the library where other Career Day participants gathered.  She showed me the printed sheet given to students, with about thirty presenters' names and their specialties listed on a grid. Students could chose the four in which they were most interested.  I found my name (correctly spelled, too) about halfway down...
...and was stunned to see my topic was listed as "Arts."  I was prepared to speak on my former career, human resources, of course, and can't imagine how the error happened, but hey, I'm flexible.  I went to the assigned classroom, explained that my presentation wasn't as listed, but could prove valuable anyway and launched into my twenty-minute spiel.
Actually, the students were quite interested--or, if not, they were at least courteous.  During the question-answer period, I asked what type of art they pursued and found that quite a few were in the performing arts.  It was fun to tell them about our production of Hedda and to find they're doing Sound of Music in Match.  Maybe I'll see if Aline wants to go.
After my last (of four) talks, I met Susan W. in her office.  She's the development officer--I think they call it "organizational advancement" now--at H.S.H.S. and we met four years ago when I endowed a scholarship at Rider.  Had a nice chat for a half hour or so.  Stopped at Santori's on the way home for a supply of necessities: lettuce, tomatoes, feta, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.  Made a big salad, nuked the broccoli, and had them for lunch--so good.  Later, I took a turkey tenderloin roast out of the freezer and put it in the oven.  Had some for dinner--doubleplus good.
Got to rehearsal early and Ellen V., Desi, Mary, and Brittany followed soon after. I was pleased to see Tara C. there; Desi said she's going to work with actors to develop their characters.  Tara directed me in my first real stage effort--Steel Magnolias four years ago--and I respect her expertise.
Busy, full, and productive day.

             

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...