Saturday, January 04, 2014

Malfunctions

I wonder if there's a rule of the universe that once a possession breaks down, everything else does, too.  Not only did my car fail inspection and does the kitchen light malfunction (ah, lucky us, to be handed that useful word a few years ago--thanks, Janet!), but when I turned on the microwave yesterday, it made a horrible grinding noise.  In addition, two lamps aren't working right, and the smoke detector in the bedroom chirps.  I'm sure there are a few other problems, too, but am kind of afraid to look.
Was in most of the day, doing various, but ventured out to Acme.  Route 9 is clear, although smaller roads are not.  Got a nice ham slice, cubed it, and added to my bean soup.  Had some for lunch and it was yummy.
I received a notice from the library that the bio of Ibsen I requested was in, but when I went to pick it up, found the library was closed.  So were the schools and other places, I understand.  The exaggerated media hype, which stokes buzz leading to fear and agitation now seems to surround every instance of what is, after all, a normal part of the weather cycle.  It's so tiresome; when did we get to be so gullible?  Now, of course, a "deadly" cold is predicted. All this seems a further malfunction, I'm afraid--of our constantly eroding ability to question and judge from a common sense point of view.
Found another television version of Hedda on YouTube and watched that for about two hours.  Title role was played by Fiona Shaw and what a contrast to Ingrid Bergman's 1963 performance.  Shaw played her 200 percent more nervous, emotional, and despairing than Bergman's Hedda, and even incorporated physical violence.  Interesting.
Susan called to say the concert at St. Teresa's has been postponed to next Friday. Fine by me, as I wasn't looking forward to going out last night.  This is not, I want to emphasize, for fear of being found stiff and dead in a snow bank, but only because it would be messy and uncomfortable.      

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...