Sunday, January 19, 2014

Rachel

Left early for the P & P meeting, so I could stop at Produce Junction first.  Did so and picked up four nice plants for a song, including a Spathe lily for the foyer.
I still had some time, so stopped at Betty's.  She was there, along with a man who, I think, was assessing the damage to her floors.  If the one in the living room is any indication, it's horrendous.  It's "buckled"--i.e., is warped, with the individual boards forming little tents.  I'm afraid all the floors have to be replaced--and that's not nearly the extent of the damage, which  may include walls.  Betty said she has leads on several places to rent, as the house may not be habitable for six months.  I assume insurance will cover the cost.    
Got to the meeting and was happy to greet Louise and other members I like.  There were only thirteen people there, a far cry from earlier days when the room would be filled.  What could be the reason?  Most likely it was sitting there, as usual, front and center...
Rachel really has a screw loose.  She has to comment--at length and often to no point or purpose--on every topic discussed.  Incredibly, considering this had been discussed and rejected months ago, she started pushing again for hiring a Ken Somebody-or-Other to be our "dramateur," as she invariably calls it.  She had some cockamamie idea that he'd direct us in our next presentation, but he would have to be paid.  What?  This is readers' theatre, for Pete's sake, and playwrights can direct themselves.  What we need is somebody to run the meetings, and not least, to keep a lid on Rachel.
Sonda was the facilitator du jour and not a very effective one, I'm afraid, as Rachel held sway.  She comments interminably on every topic and is often very high-handed.  This tends to anger others and, at times, the whole thing degenerates into a shouting match.
Just one example of Rachel's incomprehensible ways: As usual, we took a break halfway through the meeting; Grey and I started chatting about Hedda (I had given him his bound script).  Suddenly, Rachel turned angrily to us and shouted (yes, shouted) that we had some nerve discussing another play while we were there and we should go outside if we want to do that.  We were flabbergasted--we were on break, so what possible reason could there be for a prohibition on any subject we chose to discuss?  Later, Rachel apologized and this is characteristic of her:  first, the outrageously inappropriate action, then the abject apology.  There seems no way, short of mayhem, to rein her in.  Sondra was this month's facilitator and not a very effective one, so Rachel walked all over her, too.
It was fun after.  Louise, Denise, Grey, and I went out for a bite and had a ball together.  We're of like minds on a number of subjects and the talk ranged all over the map.  However, we were having so much fun, I didn't notice what time it was and it was almost full dark by the time we parted.  Got home fine, though.
Ellen surprised me by Skyping last night instead of her usual Sunday, and as ever, we had a good chat.  She got a new manicure--I want to do that tomorrow--and it looks terrific.  Hope I can approximate her color.             

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...