Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hedda And Cuisine

We walked yesterday, as the streets are clear--or were; it started snowing about 2:00 in the afternoon and now I'm not sure if it's slippery or not.
Did a lot of e-mails back and forth over whether we should do some revision on Hedda--especially act one, which is talky and repetitive.  Geez, it's a three hour play as it stands (plus intermission) and Grey sensibly suggested cutting.  Neil then got on his high horse and exhibited his usual stance of nobleman against the peasants, arguing passionately that the great writer couldn't be treated that way and it's a sacrilege (well, he didn't use that word), and so on and so forth.  I pointed out that almost all writers have editors and that plays are routinely revised, sometimes drastically (e.g., Night Must Fall).  I found on-line that Hedda itself has been staged in altered versions--at least once, as a lesbian drama and at Princeton U., Hedda was changed into a man--talk about revision.  Anyway, it's so satisfying to be in a position where I can argue back and forth with like-minded people, whether they agree with me or not.
Later, I finally called up trivia questions for Judy to present at Dine Around today. Sewed a button on my new blouse and did some wash.  Went to the bank and the drugstore, but aside from that, stuck close to home.
I was pleased to get a message back from the restaurant manager at Cuisine On The Green.  I had sent one pointing out the poor service, somewhat misleading menu, the hefty five-buck charge for Blue Moon, and the blonde woman's silent, unsmiling exchanges with me (I didn't realize she was the one who'd read the message and respond).
Well, she did, and promptly, too.  She apologized and among other things, wrote that training would be held weekly for servers.  To make amends, she said, she would treat me to a Blue Moon when I came in again.  You can be sure I immediately wrote back thanking her for her prompt reply and said I'd come in sometime next week and introduce myself.
Now that's the way a business should be run.  I'll definitely go back and will tell my friends about it.  

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...